Scorpion # 253 project

there transmission case interference issues with a larger diameter. the 8x1.25 nut has a nominal thread thickness, I will ensure that that stays the same for thread engagement. may be able to make the pulley thicker though for additional thread area. Dont remember why i was doing it that way. dont have the parts in front of me.

on a separate note: porsche boxter transaxle. I was thinking about using one for my other build. anything i should know?

Why not make the pulley slightly larger so the threads don't foul the belt area?
That was how I envisioned it. Large enough diameter so the belt groove is outside of the CV bolts' circumference. That could even be made from a suitably sized water pump (or such) pulley off some vehicle. Cut open the middle and add holes for the (longer) CV bolts.

Ooops, I was typing as you posted that last comment (about case interference).
How far would the pulley need to be offset to clear the case? The idea of using the pulley to replace the CV bolt nuts seems a bit iffy to me (no offense).

on a separate note: porsche boxter transaxle. I was thinking about using one for my other build. anything i should know?

Kind of a general question so I'm not really sure what you are specifically looking for. In general I can tell you:

1. The CV joint flanges plug right into the Fiat halfshaft stuff
2. Used gear shift mechanisms/cables from Caymens/Boxsters are plentiful and cheap on eBay, this is apparently a common upgrade item.
3. I think I paid about $700 for a good working unit, but that was about 4 years ago. No clutch/PP/flywheel, nor any of the linkage or gearshift stuff.
4. The Boxster "S" units are 6 speeds, the non-"S" is a 5 speed, that's what I have.
5. Pelican Parts is a great resource for parts and knowledge.
6. The Porsche flywheel/clutch/PP arrangement has no springs in the clutch plate, I'm told that the flywheel has some kind of arrangement to make it absorb a bit of the initial bite. My combo of the SHO flywheel and the springless Porsche clutch might make for a hard bite on takeoff, haven't driven the car yet so we shall see. Something to think about if you are mating to a non-Porsche flywheel.

That's about all I can think of.

Following Pete's comments on Porsche flywheels. I don't recall off hand which models of Porsche have what they call a "dual mass" flywheel (seems like a lot of 911's did in the 90's and beyond). It can be problematic and there is a mod to swap it with a standard flywheel (for the Porsche application). So if you plan to use a Porsche flywheel (which I highly doubt you would), then you might look into this before choosing one.

Trying to thread a second inline set of threads is highly unlikely to work, particularly in multiples. They are also too shallow.

Perhaps use overlong fasteners to go through the CV, flange, the pulley and use nuts to hold the pulley on.

had a week doing "professional development" (waste of time), not really but sounded good. Back to school monday. I have ordered a few things to make progress on my transmission linkage and shifter. Will post more next week. Kids are gone for summer so I can get a lot done. Lets hope.

worked on the engine a little this week, got the dry sump belt worked out. Also got the expansion tank made.
IMG_7991.JPG
IMG_7998.JPG
IMG_7997.JPG
IMG_8001.JPG
IMG_8004.JPG
IMG_7999.JPG

worked on the car and the engine a bit over the last few months. Been busy teaching kids. now that the "virus" has taken over my daily life. I am stuck at home, because I am a teacher and football coach. Seems like April 15th is the earliest that I get back in the classroom. I am defiantly not knocking what is being done, I totally support it, as we should be diligent in protecting the spread of the disease. here are a few of the progress pictures. I will be working on my house renovations in the meantime as my car is at the school, Which is over a hour away from home.

IMG_8551.JPG
IMG_8550.JPG
IMG_8552.JPG

What've you done with it lately?

While you're at the keyboard:

I've got my cylinder head in for a port & polish, what other reasonably affordable stuff would you recommend to have done with it? Of course I'll be getting new valve seals & such freshening done, but I'm wondering about things specific to this head. Thanks as always for your contributions to this board!

what are your goals? the largest gain from what i have learned is raising the port roof on the intake side. I have read alot and unfortunately cannot back this with flow bench data , but from what i have read and seen from others flow bench data that is the main gain point. I am sure there will be may opinions why this is right or wrong. this is my opinion from what i know and i have learned. i will gladly share what i know and have learned

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I'm looking for 150hp from a street motor. So far I've got a 2 liter motor, 40/80 cams and a dual DCNF set-up. Your opinions are merited, and thanks for sharing what you know! I've seen you on various forums for many years, and it's clear that you're not looking to monetize what you know. Thanks for that!

Reviving the thread. The work on this project has never stopped. But it has been on the back burner a bit as I got involved with other projects. The kids have been working on the car recently and now with a new windshield on the way. Progress will pick up. It is lurking in the background!
IMG_1318.jpg

Reviving the thread. The work on this project has never stopped. But it has been on the back burner a bit as I got involved with other projects. The kids have been working on the car recently and now with a new windshield on the way. Progress will pick up. It is lurking in the background!View attachment 71879
Is that an Integrale motor? If so that should be a nice swap!! I am still considering some motor swap options for my Strada. One tha has come up is https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br...cking_id=ad956242-d939-4301-8f64-7a26e6be80ad

Back