Scorpion #621 resurrection

Nice stancework tJ. On a side note, I may have a spare frunk light from my pick-n-pull adventure years ago... if I can find it...

It's looking very good! I look forward to being where you're at on your car. Bodywork & paint are the ugliest phase, and I'll be motivated to persevere when it's warmer in the garage.

Keep the updates coming, and much respect to you for what you're doing there!

I appreciate the kind words. I hear you on the body work being the hardest phase to get through. It is, indeed, a lot easier to gain motivation in a warm garage. I'm lucky...during the day it's nice in there. It's a little chilly in the evenings, but I'm sure nothing compared to most of the country. I'm still waiting on MH to finish those carpets so I can press on with the final phases of completion.

tJ

Someone is selling a group of six Scorpion lights (look like they are correct for the trunk) on eBay for about $40 if I recall correctly. Maybe several people can get together on that.

Ah, I see that. I'm going to hunt in my stash to be sure I don't already have the lamp. I may have put it away and forgotten about it when I took the frunk carpet out 3 years ago.

tJ

So I finally got a package from Monte Hospital on Friday. I tore it open to find new seat belts and a deluxe carpet set. My heart sank, however, as a I realized that the color wasn't correct. It wasn't the same color blue as the last carpet I'd had which was a royal blue, but it still had more red in it than it should have. I did a checking on their site and figured out what the problem was. The deluxe carpet has 2 different blues. One is "Britania Blue (the royal blue I didn't want). The other was simply "blue", which I ordered that assuming it would be the cold blue that came in Scorpions. It turns out that they had a link to color swatches and the blue wasn't the same. So I checked the "standard" carpet section of the site and lo and behold, they had a warm blue and a cold blue (wedgewood blue), which is the one I was seeking. I wrote them about it and they are going to make it right. So I shipped the carpet back today and they'll get the correct color in the "standard" carpet. Now I wait another 6 weeks. But at least I'll get the right color. Very pleased that TMH was willing to do this.

In the meantime, I have roof hardware and seat belts to install, so I'll get working on that shortly.

tJ

Well, 6 weeks turned into almost 3 months, BUT my new carpet arrived and it's the correct color. Or at least close enough to the original color. Definitely matches the interior better. Now that Covid-19 has hit, I have more time to work at home.

tJ

OK, I don't know how this slipped past me, but I seem to be missing the driver's side trim piece for the headlight. The first pic shows the spot where it should be. The second pi shows the piece I'm missing (from the passenger side). Anyone out there have this piece?

tJ

IMG_3462.JPG

IMG_3461.JPG

Got in the garage this weekend and put the roof release mechanism in. I had to cobble this together from a combination of unobtanium parts from forum members and eBay. The good news is that the cables are in good nick, and the latches work a treat.

roof4.jpg

roof3.jpg

roof2.jpg

roof1.jpg

The bad news is that my roof that had been recovered using a TMH everflex roof skin isn't right. I had it done maybe 2 years ago in anticipation of getting my car painted, but it sat. Something is either wrong with fitment or the everflex shrank. But either way, the roof won't close. :( I left it out in the sun for half the day and got it to go down just a little bit, but not nearly enough to close.

roof5.jpg

Gonna take it to an upholstery shop soon and see if they can either sort it out or just make a new skin for me.

tJ

That's interesting and good to know about the TMH Everflex roof. For some reason, I can't get my TMH hardtop to sit properly so that my rear cover will close over it. Might take some latch adjustment.

That's interesting and good to know about the TMH Everflex roof. For some reason, I can't get my TMH hardtop to sit properly so that my rear cover will close over it. Might take some latch adjustment.
Interesting. I had one of those that I bought new but decided against using. I was wondering if I would have had any better luck with that. Sounds like not? Anyway, I'm going to get the rest of my interior back together before I mess around anymore with the roof.

tJ

So has anyone bought and installed the seatbelts that TMH sells? Our factory belts had two reels...the big one mounted on the side with the belt facing down. The belt went down to the bottom bolt near the floor, which was bolted on via the triangular guide piece. Then that went back up the rear parcel shelf, through the slots and into a smaller reel bolted onto the rear bulkhead by the window.

I got the new ones and looked at them. There is only one reel...the big one. The instructions say to face the reel up so the belt will come out without locking. Well, from what I can tell, I'm going have to mount mine on the waist-high bolt and face it down. The triangular guide will go on the floor, and the end of the belt (which doesn't end in a reel, but just a hole in the end of the belt) just bolts onto the rear bulkhead. Does that seem right to you all? Anyone installed this set before?

tJ

So has anyone bought and installed the seatbelts that TMH sells? Our factory belts had two reels...the big one mounted on the side with the belt facing down. The belt went down to the bottom bolt near the floor, which was bolted on via the triangular guide piece. Then that went back up the rear parcel shelf, through the slots and into a smaller reel bolted onto the rear bulkhead by the window.

I got the new ones and looked at them. There is only one reel...the big one. The instructions say to face the reel up so the belt will come out without locking. Well, from what I can tell, I'm going have to mount mine on the waist-high bolt and face it down. The triangular guide will go on the floor, and the end of the belt (which doesn't end in a reel, but just a hole in the end of the belt) just bolts onto the rear bulkhead. Does that seem right to you all? Anyone installed this set before?

tJ

The locking mechanism won’t work properly if you do what you just described.

In looking at the arrangement in the Scorpion it is going to be a bit more difficult, definitely an unusual arrangement of belts and components.

Can the reel be mounted facing up where the old one faced down? Then where the second reel was put the slider guide? Then the far end of the belt would be mounted where it always has at the floor.

This would require a fairly long belt (which I know are offered by other companies) and likely a different mount for the slider guide in the back deck. I take it there isn’t a upper mount hidden under trim at the B pillar?

The locking mechanism won’t work properly if you do what you just described.

I realized this today as I was trying to put them in.

In looking at the arrangement in the Scorpion it is going to be a bit more difficult, definitely an unusual arrangement of belts and components.

Can the reel be mounted facing up where the old one faced down? Then where the second reel was put the slider guide? Then the far end of the belt would be mounted where it always has at the floor.

Yeah, sort of. I mounted the big reel where the stock one mounts, but facing up as you said. The triangle thing is now mounted on the back bulkhead, then the belt goes straight down to the floor and the end is mounted there. It kinda works. Not well though. The cover of the seatbelt reel is causing it to bind since the belt isn't coming out from directly above...more of a 30 degree angle. In fact, pulling the belt out caused the cover to pop off the reel. Trying to reel it back in with the cover on is a no go. With the cover off the reel it works.
This would require a fairly long belt (which I know are offered by other companies) and likely a different mount for the slider guide in the back deck. I take it there isn’t a upper mount hidden under trim at the B pillar?

There isn't an upper mounting point on the B pillar. That's what this belt set up seems to want. :/

tJ

Last edited:
So I posted in the Montecarlo and Scorpion Facebook groups and have come to the conclusion that re-webbing my factory belts is the best way to go. Aftermarket belts don't seem to work that well. I can get the TMH belts to work by attaching only 2 mounting points, but that leaves a useless 3rd hanger dangling on the passengers lap. Not ideal. So I have a request for a quote and will see what it'll set me back.

In anticipation of new belts, I figured I need to replace the broken plastic finishing rings with new ones I drew up in SolidWorks and 3D printed on my resin printer. They fit a treat, but I am going to be doing just a tiny bit more tweaking. I plan on printing them in black resin, so no painting will be required (nor will wear off with use of the seat belt). You can see the comparison pics of the factory one (missing tabs and all) with the new one I made.

tJ

seatbelt-trim4.jpg
seatbelt-trim3.jpg
seatbelt-trim2.jpg
seatbelt-trim1.jpg

As for the seat belt question. On my previous Scorpion I used securon belts made for a spitfire. Mounted the reel to the bulkhead, just like the S2 Montecarlos and cut the third mounting bracket off the belt. So one mount on the floor. Reel to the bulk head. Looks factory. The side panels I recovered so there was no hole present. Or you can just use a plug.

I was going to say... couldn't the third bracket just be cut off? Maybe tricky without risking damage to the belt itself.

Yeah, I didn't like the idea of cutting off the mount unless I had to. I don't have a big angle grinder w/cut-off wheel, so I'll have to go borrow one. It might be possible to remove the belt from the retractor, but that will be fiddly.

HF, I can make another set for anyone else that needs them. I need to figure out costs, which should be done later today. Also, I don't want to break any forum rules, so I'll post the info in the FS&W forum and link back to it if that's cool with you all.

tJ

Last edited:
Back