Scorpion Brake Pedal Box Replacement

lanciahf

True Classic
Warning this is more of a rant or a cry for help then tech question, unless of course you want to come to my house and help.

My clutch feed hose was seeping brake fluid and since the Dash and HVAC system is out I figured it would be
a good time to replace all the hoses from the brake and clutch reservoirs and replace the pedal box with a rebuilt one I bought years ago from a fellow Scorp owner..

Started the pedal box replacement Thursday night. Come Monday Night I was still in a state of shock.

OMG this is a nightmare. OMG! OMG!!!

Has anyone done this? What a nightmare, The propensity to have leaks is everywhere, how many union fittings joints can we have???
When I see a sitting Scorpion with wet carpets now I fully understand.

Anyway The Clutch System bled pretty quickly but the brakes are being
annoying. I did not bench bleed the Master Cylinder, not sure how that
is possible with this stupid setup.

Anyway have a nice day!

Old Pedal Box, note stupid Sparco boy racer pedal setup. Notice missing Clutch return spring on the old box, Spring fell of due to broken tang while I was driving. Found the missing tang, :)

mc1.jpg

mc2.jpg

mc3.jpg

New Refurbished Pedal Box with super duper rare 037 brake pedal setup from The Monte Hospital
nm2.jpg

nmc1.jpg

nmc3.jpg

nmc4.jpg

nmc5.jpg

A few years back I had a Scorpion and ran into the same issue. I ended up taking my car to: http://www.rmccar.com Richard is an amazing mechanic and did the replacement of both master cylinders in record time. He also did the brake booster bypass fix at the same time.. I would not hesitate to give him a buzz...

I feel your pain...Truly one of the least fun jobs on these cars.. may have to schedule a Tech Day in your garage....

Ralph, let us know how the MH pedal mod works.
I think I've done four Scorpion master cylinder R&Rs and 2 X1/9s over the years. Much easier when car is apart getting restored.

How does the new brake pedal setup differ? I'm not seeing it in the pics...
Mike, I would have to disassemble everything in order for you to see the difference. The pedals sits in Bronze bushings and has a different type of fulcrum, which forces the brake MC to be mounted further away which in turns forces the brake lines to be re-bent and they just fit. The brake and clutch plunger are adjustable, the Clutch is easy enough to adjust but the brake MC has to be removed in order to adjust it. Not sure if this setup is worth the trouble? I'll try to scan the instructions and post them.

Pedal Box Installed.
Clutch and brakes bled, no leaks and the brake and clutch pedal seem okay. Clutch pedal play easy to adjust but the Brake MC adjusting rod is a bear to get to. Going to have to come up with a process.... MC

pd2.jpg

pd3.jpg

pd4.jpg

Back