Scorpion Engine swap

boysiejucaban

Daily Driver
hi guys,
just really curious... can the engine swap kits for the X1/9 such as the midwest K20 kit fit on the scorpion? and are the engine swaps for the X1/9 comparable or almost the same as on the scorpion? I know some parts swap on the X1/9 and the scorpion... thanks.

There was one guy who swapped a VW VR6 into his Scorpion which was featured in European Car magazine a while back, but no way to contact the owner to see how he did it. I also mentioned this to a VW enthusiast and he said he knows someone who could probably do the same. I might look into that if I don't sell my Scorpion. There have been a few folks who've put Alfa V6s in their Scorpions as well, but I like the idea of a VR6 better. A VR6 has one head and the exhaust ports are on one side and intake on the other like a four cylinder and it's compactness.

Don't know of any swap kits though. Maybe if i do the VR6, I'll market it.

re. engine swap

i was looking at the X1/9 forums and a lot of guys seem to be swapping their engines with either b series hondas or 4age motors... knowing that the x1/9 and the scorpion are siblings it looks doable... since the b series engines are a dime a dozen... on my old scorpion, i used x1/9 suspension parts and the do interchange... hopefully someone might shed some light on this... with the v6 or vr6 transplants... i would not prefer to go that way as they are a bit on the porky side and junkyardwise somewhat scarce. thanks for the info.

i found this on the x1/9 forums under engine swaps.

http://autox19.com/b16/index.html

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/8066/

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/16068/

with the last one being a k series swap that midwest bayliss sells a kit for... just thinking about 160-200hp on a scorpion makes me shiver... along the purist line... going all out guy croft style would be nice but the added fuss with dual carbs and really high comp settings is not for me... my 2L with 1.8L head engine that i had built was nice but useless. CR was almost 10:1 and to be a daily driver I had to back off on the ignition so it won't ping/knock on 91 octane... that's why i'm looking to update and modernize the scorpion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alfa 164 V6 is a common swap. My friend put one in his Scorpion. Scorpions have lots more room to work with than X1/9s.

hi guys,
just really curious... can the engine swap kits for the X1/9 such as the midwest K20 kit fit on the scorpion? and are the engine swaps for the X1/9 comparable or almost the same as on the scorpion? I know some parts swap on the X1/9 and the scorpion... thanks.

I have the MWB K20 swap in my X

hi guys,

And I seriously doubt it would be a bolt-in to the Scorpion. The motor mounts on the Scorp are in different locations, and the MWB kit replaces the rear lower A arm control points. This would not swap into the Scorp, simply because the Scorp has a wider track.

But there is plenty of room in the Scorp engine bay to swallow all kinds of drivetrains. I don't doubt a Chevy 350 on a Fiero transaxle would fit, if one wanted to do that.

Pete

thanks for the info... quite insightful... seems like the best way to go would be with b series engine as i already have on and custom mounts... with custom axles... thank you so much for the info about the MWB kit. seeing that k20 prices are still up there financially it's out of my hands. time to save up some milk money.

I know a guy in Glendale that is putting a 164 Alfa Engine and trans in his.... There is a guy in Dallas that did it a few years back and that car is sick...

Yup, I took a ride in that car....

Pretty sure it was the same day. That engine has some serious grunt, Ken did a good job putting that car together - although it was far from finished then. It's down for paint and finishing now, as far as I know.

Pete

Pete was the first passenger. It happened the day I was brave enough to initially leave the neighborhood. I was so excited, I called Pete. So, my test drive turned into an unplanned 25 mile round trip.

It was very raw. No passenger belts, no rear windows, one wheel with a very bad alignment, no brake bias adjustment and seventeen year old tires. It was dangerous. I recall touching 100 on the highway going North.

Sorted the car out somewhat. Ran one track day at MSR. Now, as mentioned, spending money on paint, interior and air conditioning. The initial objective was more track oriented. That focus shifted to something my wife would want to ride in. My desire is to make the Lancia really nice, yet not too nice to drive. I want a lot of seat time. However, now I am most certain, the car will never be civilized enough for my wife.

Ken just make sure to tell me where to send the check when you are tired of the car. Otherwize I might go broke trying to make one of my own someday...:eyepop:

If your wife is any thing like mine

You can make the Scorp stand on it's head and it still would not be good enough. In her eyes it will still and always be and old unreliable car that is noisy and stinks of exhaust and can't be trusted. (No matter how tight and nice it is) The funny thing was when she drove my X1/9 once it was done she did have fun in it but would never admit it. We will see what happens when my Scorp is done. I'm at the start of a frame up resto and should be done in a year or so.

Warren

If your wife is any thing like mine
Warren

I met a fellow once that was very successful pouring money into a track car. His secret: he allowed the wife to become intoxicated and addicted to track time driving. By giving her driving time, she was good with spending money on it.

Not sure that I want to share drive time in my Lancia.

Back