Scorpion Engine swap

Ken just make sure to tell me where to send the check when you are tired of the car...:eyepop:

I hate to think that I will out grow this car anytime soon. It has taken close to twenty years to make the dream come together. So, I want to drive it at least twenty years. It feels a lot like I have grown old trying to make this car young again. Eons ago, the friend that sold it to me said it would be relic before getting it back on the road. I can't wait to show him the finished product.

Bringing both...

Good question, Saturday is a question that I keep asking myself. If I can work it in, I would drive the black Spider that you saw a few months back. What are you bringing?

The K20 X1/9 and the Scorpion. The Scorp will have an updated nose, a little project I have been working on for about a month.

Hope to see you there!

Pete

Ha Ha Ha Good luck

My wife used to be my pit crew (when we were both single) when I road raced my X1/9, she loved the hot summer days. But there would be no way she would set foot into the car. I have my fingers, arms, toes and eyes crossed that once my Scorp is done she woul like to go out in it for long drives through the mountains. I know my kids would be up to it but not sure about her. The only reason I have my Scorp back is because she wanted a walk out basement. (it's a long story)

Kens,

Are you going to keep us in the dark, or will you give us any hints?

I suppose I can look it up, but how much more does the aluminum V6 weigh over the iron block 4? Not that I mind so very much about a few pounds, more tire and some tweaking of suspension should tame that.

And how difficult was it to arrange the shifter?

I can tell by the video that it gets out of its own way, but do you think it would hold up in a drag with a Ferrari 308, the 308 being a relatively heavy vehicle for its power.

I'd certainly say that if you could hold your own on a track with a 308 then you have succeeded wildly.

Meanwhile, you did something very hard in this engine swap. I've done one, easy: a Datsun Z into a Triumph Stag. Almost nothing to it.

Lancia V6

The Alfa 12V engine is 375 pounds, the 24V engine is 400 pounds. So, added about 100 pounds over stock. The good part is that this engine is positioned well in front of the rear wheels.

The paint work is done. Once I have the machine reassembled, I am going to snatch some corner weights. Can’t wait to see what the total weight is these days. I have added a lot of aluminum and fiberglass. Aluminum items include fuel tank, radiator and calipers. Fiberglass parts now comprise bumpers, roof and front lid.

The shifter was not all bad. I used Alfa cable shifter parts in a 164Q gearbox. For a bit less money, think I could have imported a six speed box. However, the six speed boxes are said to not stand up to extreme heavy abuse. I am not into burnout abuse, so would have worked for me. Custom cables were made by Push-Pull and loops behind the gearbox to obtain proper actuation.

I did do one track day with very good results. However, when it comes to running on the track with the big boys, excess is barely adequate. With a bit of track tuning, no doubt the car would compare well to a 308. Here are results from a CarTest simulation.

Pete was the first passenger. It happened the day I was brave enough to initially leave the neighborhood. I was so excited, I called Pete. So, my test drive turned into an unplanned 25 mile round trip.

It was very raw. No passenger belts, no rear windows, one wheel with a very bad alignment, no brake bias adjustment and seventeen year old tires. It was dangerous. I recall touching 100 on the highway going North.

Sorted the car out somewhat. Ran one track day at MSR. Now, as mentioned, spending money on paint, interior and air conditioning. The initial objective was more track oriented. That focus shifted to something my wife would want to ride in. My desire is to make the Lancia really nice, yet not too nice to drive. I want a lot of seat time. However, now I am most certain, the car will never be civilized enough for my wife.
Did you ever do a writeup on the engine install? Would love to read it if you did.

Back