scorpion linkage

dburdick

doug b
I need to replace the bushing on the vertical shaft in the linkage
scorpionlinkage.jpg
assembly. Ideas? How do I remove the shaft?

Last edited:
One of the "joys" of Scorpiacarlo ownership.

To replace these bushings, the whole thing comes apart, then you can remove and replace the vertical shaft bushings. Better replace the shifter rod bushings while you're at this. When these are worn, the shift is poor and vague.

New ones are available from Monte Hospital and likely from some of the usual FIAT / Lancia suppliers.

Do heat up the bushings in hot water to soften them, this makes installation into the shifter rod ends easier.

If you're more ambitious, the plastic shifter bushings and rods can be replaced with spherical bearing rod ends (good quality teflon lined rod ends), an involved project. If done properly, it does make a difference.

Bernice

I need to replace the bushing on the vertical shaft in the linkage assembly. Ideas? How do I remove the shaft?

Do heat up the bushings in hot water to soften them, this makes installation into the shifter rod ends easier.

Of course, Bernice is writing "easier" with a wink and a nod because without heating them, the job is impossible; when the bushings are heated, the job is merely a total pain in the rear, but do-able.

While everything is apart, you might want to beef up those cub-scout welds. This was one of my first welding projects ever.

Welded%20Linkage.jpg

Welded%20Linkage%202.jpg

Also, you may find after bushing replacement that there is still a great deal of shifter sloppiness. The real culprit is the nylon bushing at the bottom of the shift lever itself. The hole becomes worn and ovalized over time. Some folks have redrilled theirs and added spacers, but I went for the TMH repro shift lever as it's also a little shorter than stock. I HIGHLY recommend it!

Stock%20v%20Chads%20Shift%20Lever%202A.jpg

Hope that helps.

John O.

Very poor weld quality on the shift linkage, for some reason.

Pete,

I remember taking the shift linkage apart and thinking how totally optimistic it's execution was, the first piece I encountered on the car that had that "here's the idea, see what you can do with it" quality. There are SOOOO many others!!!

John O.

Like Clarkson on Top Gear said...

Pete,

I remember taking the shift linkage apart and thinking how totally optimistic it's execution was, the first piece I encountered on the car that had that "here's the idea, see what you can do with it" quality. There are SOOOO many others!!!

John O.

Lancia was a company that was not afraid to think outside of the box.

"What if we made a car whose windows rolled up and down by magic? Doesn't work? Oh well, sell it anyway..."

Pete

Back