Scorpion seat kits

dherr

True Classic
I need to reupholster my 77 Scorpion seats and have started on the process. Local Upholstery companies have offered to build custom seat covers, but not really sure I want to go that route. I reached out to lseat.com and they don't have a kit for a scorpion but they are willing to take my covers and add a pattern to their catalog. Would be nice to be able to put some blue leather seats in my 77 and fix what I have with some stock seats and a properly reupholstered seats. I'll let everyone know how it goes and if they are going to be able to make some proper seat covers for our cars but excited that this could work out well.

IMG_6517.jpg

They just sent me their address, so I'll be removing one of the covers and sending to them this week. So I'll keep everyone posted on what comes from this. Seats will be made in this color. Should be a good option for a reasonably priced seat cover option for our cars. They have a wide choice of colors to choose from.

Saphire blue leather.jpg

I pulled all the covers off today, will be sending down to their Texas office on Monday. They said it would be a while for them to make the covers and send me pictures of the results. Once I install them, they will add them to their catalog as an available pattern. I am happy to be the guinea pig for these seats, will document how it goes. Lseats

If possible try to get something in writing or at least insured. Then photograph and document everything carefully.

Several times I've sent original items to vendors that agreed to copy it for future production. In a couple of cases it did not go well. One kept the original part for over a year and a half without copying it. It was a non replaceable item (which was made very clear up front) so I gave up on the project and asked them to send it back to me. A couple months later it finally arrived heavily damaged beyond use. A huge loss to me. In the other situation the company received my original (verified by the shipper) but they never responded. Eventually I was told they never agreed to anything and never received anything...both untrue (with evidence). I lost that part but thankfully it was replaceable.

In both of the above examples they were highly respected, well known, very successful companies. So never assume anything with anyone.

I hear you and thanks for the advice. Since I have two scorpions, I am not worried about sending my torn up upholstery to them to see what they can do, as the passenger side could be used for a pattern if I have to go to "Plan B". If we can get a vendor to have a pattern available for everyone, well worth doing, so wish me luck!

I hear you and thanks for the advice. Since I have two scorpions, I am not worried about sending my torn up upholstery to them to see what they can do, as the passenger side could be used for a pattern if I have to go to "Plan B". If we can get a vendor to have a pattern available for everyone, well worth doing, so wish me luck!
Too bad, they don't have X19 seats either...

I wonder if some nice Sparco sport seats might not be a better and ultimately cheaper path to take.

I don't want cheap or fast :) , I just want a seat kit to cover my torn up seats and no one has a kit for this. What impressed me about this company is that they had some kits done for some complex seats like the MKII Triumph GT6. I'll also get the full leather covers, so the price goes up by another $150.

Would love to hire Sue

Alternative seats are always an option, but I really want to restore the interior as much as possible to how they came from Lancia. Mechanically, I have no problems with upgrading the engine to make them more like the European Montecarlos, as the Scorpion engine was an U.S. emissions disaster that is easily rectified. I think this will be a good compromise assuming they can duplicate the pattern. Will find out and let everyone know how it works out.

I wonder if some nice Sparco sport seats might not be a better and ultimately cheaper path to take.
The Scorpion/Monte Carlo has some parts that have a pretty unique design. The seats are one of them. Installing an aftermarket seat takes away from the "uniqueness" of the car. As long as they are not too difficult to restore I think it's worth retaining the originals. In other words, I kinda like the Scorpion/Monte Carlo seat design myself. YMMV
The steering wheel on the other hand? Maybe the steering wheel is best displayed on the wall, just in case your taste changes and you want to re-install it at a later date? ;) Until then you certainly have a conversation piece. - "What did THAT come from???"

My upholsterer pal said that because the padding popped out separately, they were actually pretty easy to do (no frame-on stretching). And, that a re-covering should not be overly expensive on the originals.

The seats below are a hybrid. He toned-down the bolster sides to better match an X1/9's seat bottom, so these are not "all Scorpion" now.

These seats are so period unique, a design seemingly MADE for the Scorpicarlo. If you are looking to modernize, maybe have the seat backs and plastics covered in high quality carbon fibre wrap. I almost went that way (might still because of my CF dash pieces).
This design happened to match the X's steering wheel, so I had to steel a pair for my X project.

I would build a car round these seats (these, and a killer set of wheels). Can't see deleting this much character from the otherwise bland Lancia interior.
IMG_1965.jpg

My upholsterer pal said that because the padding popped out separately, they were actually pretty easy to do (no frame-on stretching). And, that a re-covering should not be overly expensive on the originals.

The seats below are a hybrid. He toned-down the bolster sides to better match an X1/9's seat bottom, so these are not "all Scorpion" now.

These seats are so period unique, a design seemingly MADE for the Scorpicarlo. If you are looking to modernize, maybe have the seat backs and plastics covered in high quality carbon fibre wrap. I almost went that way (might still because of my CF dash pieces).
This design happened to match the X's steering wheel, so I had to steel a pair for my X project.

I would build a car round these seats (these, and a killer set of wheels). Can't see deleting this much character from the otherwise bland Lancia interior.
View attachment 70146
Great looking sears

Nige, one piece race seats are the bomb for holding you in place but men of a certain age will find them less than desirable for day to day street use. "sport" seats with reclining back and less of an aggressive bolster is the way to go. Of course the whole theme of your build makes your seats the perfect setup.

Back