Scorpion Seat Weight

Derek Greenwood

Daily Driver
Does anyone know the weight of a Scorpion seat? My car has had the seats replaced and I am deciding if I want to find OEM replacements or go aftermarket.

Since my stock seats happen to be out of my car, I put one on the scale for you. Total weight for one stock vinyl-trimmed seat with back-recline adjuster but without sliders and associated hardware is 34.5 lbs according to my pretty accurate shipping scale. The sliders and mounting hardware are another 5+ lbs, so figure 40 lbs total weight per seat.

I was planning to reupholster my stock seats and fix the failing plastic bits, but the cost for reupholstery locally was insane -- over $800 just for labor (no materials included) and a three-month wait. Instead, I looked around and found a pair of Lotus Esprit S4 seats in beige Connolly leather for about the same price. They are tube-frame seats with back recline and weigh 25 lbs each. I will need custom mounts fabricated (the mounting points are about an inch apart from stock at each corner), so I don't expect any tremendous weight savings when it's all said and done. The Lotus seats are more upscale looking and far, far more supportive with larger bolsters.

Seats.JPG
seats 2.JPG

Let’s see, Lotus seats, hmmm. Yes those fall out of trees all day long. Lucky find. They look appropriate.

From one ridiculously rare car to another.

Those Lotus seats look great and thank you for the weight info. 40lbs is quite a bit. I ha e Miata seats and Bertone X19 leather seats. I will have to see what those weight

I know it's borderline sacrilegious, but I have recently combined fiat X bottoms with Scorpion uppers. Fit the car AND work perfectly. Had to see those things in my X (despite advice to essentially not even try such a thing). The are currently at my upholsterers. Cant wait to put them in my current X restomod. Seems a bit lighter than the stock Scorpion seat, BTW. Should be cool.

I know it's borderline sacrilegious, but I have recently combined fiat X bottoms with Scorpion uppers. Fit the car AND work perfectly. Had to see those things in my X (despite advice to essentially not even try such a thing). The are currently at my upholsterers. Cant wait to put them in my current X restomod. Seems a bit lighter than the stock Scorpion seat, BTW. Should be cool.
Ok, I'll bite, why did you combine them? Also does the X seat change the height you sit in the car? Also do the mounting points in the bottom line up?

Most importantly to know: The coolant pipes under the car are offset to the proximity of where you'd want to drill floor to mount differently spaced seat rails. Use caution not to damage the pipes and give yourself enough space to get fasteners in place.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll bite, why did you combine them? Also does the X seat change the height you sit in the car? Also do the mounting points in the bottom line up?
Perhaps I mislead... I combined lancia/fiat seat parts because they were going in an X1/9. IMO, these are some of the best looking stock seats of that era. Because of the lightning holes in the original X steering wheel, I thought these seats would look perfect. I get the best of both, the cool Lancia backs and headrest, and the fully functional fiat movements in a seat made to fit my car.

I would also happily use the Maserati Bi-turbo wheels if I hadn't already had some 14" BWA's. I'm not trying to make my X more Lancia-like, just trying to use the coolest hardware from that time frame. My apologies for crashing the X 1/20 forum.

BTW, those Lotus seats look like a good X candidate as well.
IMG_1965.jpg
IMG_1995.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, those look amazing! Take it from someone who went to a lot of trouble to fit 1500 X1/9 seats in his 1300.View attachment 57783View attachment 57784
Thanks, Ron.
I'm having a local upholstery shop do some stitching to the spare tire wall. Looking forward to putting the seats in the car when that is done. It will make the car feel very close to "done"

BTW, is that one of those "shallow" radio heads? I have been thinking of doing that too. I have the unobtainium plastic housing for a full sized radio, but was thinking of cutting it down to accommodate a much more shallow receiver. Otherwise I was going to install bluetooth speakers and just run everything from my phone.

Seats look amazing did you just get a custom upholstery shop to do the work? Been looking for a good one, do you mind sharing what it cost to do the work?

Thanks, Ron.
I'm having a local upholstery shop do some stitching to the spare tire wall. Looking forward to putting the seats in the car when that is done. It will make the car feel very close to "done"

BTW, is that one of those "shallow" radio heads? I have been thinking of doing that too. I have the unobtainium plastic housing for a full sized radio, but was thinking of cutting it down to accommodate a much more shallow receiver. Otherwise I was going to install bluetooth speakers and just run everything from my phone.
9E861361-34A3-4967-96CA-AF4042007252.jpeg

Yes it is, about $140.00, good sound and Bluetooth phone feature and function. A flat plate like mine works great. Much less intrusive.

Back