Sea-Foam anyone?

After my leaf blower started running lean and the EPA and CARB forbid the sale of the proprietary adjustment tool except to dealers, I contacted Echo and they recommended Seafoam. I tried it but it did not do much for the lean issue. I finally found the tool on Alibaba for under $3.00 including shipping from China. Some people swear by it, however.

I've used it in many of my vehicles. When I was flipping cars on the side; first thing I'd do (other then wash and vacuum) was hook up a can of seafoam to a vacuum port such as the intake manifold, and let the motor suck about half a can into it. Let it heat soak for about 5 minutes, then run it until all the smoke was gone. After that I dump the rest into the crank case. Dive it 100-200 miles and do an oil & filter change. I did an experiment on an old version I had, where I took the intake manifold off, prior to the seafoam and also checked the spark plugs. Both had a lot of oil, gunk and build up. I re installed everything and ran the seafoam. Took a look after, and the plugs and intake we're very noticably cleaner! Just my experience. Results may vary. Good luck.

The most dramatic impact I ever had with fuel additives was with this stuff called GTP (short for "guaranteed to pass"). I took my T5R to get smogged and it failed. The guy that did the test told me to put a can of GTP in the tank and change the spark plugs. The plugs only had about 10K on them and looked good so I skipped that. I put the GTP in with about a half tank and ran the car until it needed a refill. I decided that if one can was supposed to be that good, maybe I should try another so I repeated the process. I went back to get retested, and the emission results were by far the lowest the car had ever produced. I had always viewed fuel additives as a general category rather skeptically, but this stuff actually worked and it was pretty cheap. Maybe I should put a can in my revived X1/9 for good measure.

From what I have been told, drip the seafoam into a vacuum that feeds all cylinders, until the can is gone. You need someone to keep the car running to do this, then let it sit for 24 hrs for the very best reaction. I have a bottle I just picked up to use in my 94 crown vic, just have to find a good spot that feeds all 8 of the v.

Some newer fuel injected motorcycles tend to build carbon or a black crud on the back of intake valves. Marvels Mystery oil does a good job of removing it. Several years back Sea Foam changed the chemical make-up of the product. Now it contains ethanol as it’s cleaning agent.

I am about half-way through a tank of gas and the engine runs smoother... My car definitely has issues from sitting for 30 years, so I keep trying things to bring it back to life bit by bit.. For example, my thermostat was stuck open, so when the shop fixed that they found the inside of the housing was completely gunked up. This makes me suspect that my water pump and other internal parts of the cooling system are equally clogged. My fuel system was the same way and I thought I had cleared most of it out but apparently there was more.. The Sea-Foam could have cleaned the injectors, valves or even the fuel pump...

Ed

Back