Seat rail treatment question

Dayton Tom

Tom Marcellino
What is the best clean-up for the seat rails? Just wire brush it and coat with grease? Mine are a bear to move....

Thanks in advance for any tips!

I guess thats all

Clean and lub.
Are they both hard to move? If only one is, I'd suspect there was an accident, if both are - it's old age.

Following up on this thread since I have the same question. I was planning on using white lithium grease but want to be sure if that's right -- what do you think??

It's a very simple mechanical device any grease should work fine. Macke sure when you work the release lever that the locking pawl does release. Also make sure the carpet isn't bunched up around the tracks to get caught in it.

Also make sure the carpet isn't bunched up around the tracks to get caught in it.
Another possible thing to look for is the large spring in the middle (the one that helps pull the seat rewardward) isn't bent, distorted and bunched up. One of mine was and it caused the seat to get jammed where it wouldn't move. Once I managed to remove the damaged spring I could move the seat - although still a bit difficult. As has been suggested, cleaning and a little lube solved that. The tracks and rails become bare metal from the normal wear of sliding back and forth. That bare metal then rusts and the sliders no longer "slide".

Back