Seat replacements....

jss1591

79 X 1/9
Wondering if anyone has some insight on which seats are a universal fit for an X...I want to replace my seats but not sure what to look for. I believe that the Fiero seats will fit but not sure.....

Universal? I believe a bench seat from a '92 Cad...

... might work...

HA!

There are several that will including the Fiero's, some Porches' as well as tons of universal racing seats from Summit or Jegs. Most have the upper lateral support that WORKS well for autocross but doesn't look that well or feel that good for everyday driving.

All will involve some fabrication or modification on your part though.

Corbeau makes a real nice touring seat for about $700 for a pair that mimic the originals in size and shape. I'm sorry I have no first hand recommendations or experience though... Maybe some others can get right down to the part numbers.

ONE thing I do wish to share is that one fellow here many years ago built an ADAPTER out of 3/4" marine plywood. He cut off the old rails from a stock seat and bolted them to the board... then bolted the board to the seat bottom. I'm sure steel or aluminum could have been used but I betcha the wood was as safe and strong or stronger... and was a relatively simple and unique solution. Just a thought...

Do let us know what you find...

I used "low max' by Bride drilled the spot welds out of my old rails to get them off the old seats and bolted those to the new seats with the mounting brackets that came from Bride. 'the rails' that came with the seats would have raised my ride height too much.
The low max is the lowest sitting racing seat i could find.. i saw one x19 with a set of seats from a lotus in it and to me they looked perfect. I would trade mine in a second for a set of those.
Downside to reusing the old rails is they suck,, and now they still do.. moving the new seat is no better than the old one.
The racing seats make the car even more difficult to get in and out of. But once in who would want to get out?:excited:

replacement seats

I have seats from a Lotus Elise in my 1975 X, great fit, very lite, sit lower. If you do not get brackets with the seats, you will have to fabricate them.

my 2c

Successfully pulling off aftermarket seats in an X1/9 is a tough task both functionally and aesthetically. Especially if you are over 6' tall. Most aftermarket seats seem to screw up the driving position in an X because they have a knees up/sitting deep/laid back in the bucket style seat which rams your knees into the non-adjustable steering wheel. Not to mention custom brackets have to be made to attempt to put the cushion at the same height as factory, which is tough even with the flattest of racing seats, and modified cushions.

This is why the factory seats are so flat. Ebay your average replacement "sport/racing" seats and look how they all have extra padding right at the front (not so flat). Also don't forget you'll have to ditch the factory seat belts for harnesses unless you're 5'7" or shorter because the reels get in the way. You could try to move the reels backward but the gas tank limits how far on the driver's side. The factory seats have reliefs cut into the seat back which I guess you could try and re-create....maybe.

I tried some like the one's summit has in high school and really didn't like it much. The harnesses were quite inconvenient as well for a road car. I also realized the new look of the seats looked way out of place (and too big) in the little vintage X1/9. If I were to go at it again, I would select from one of the very few vintage and euro looking aftermarket seats with similar dimensions as the stockers. I would also plan on possibly lowering and modifying the floor pan as necessary to really nail the height AND driving postion, as well as moving the factory seat belt winders backward as much as possible.

The X is kinda stuck between modern and vintage as well, and seats are hard to choose. These are on the vintage side but are my current favorites:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-Zagato-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c55be8134&vxp=mtr

I think they would look especially good in a very stock looking 74 with the red and brown interior:geek:

Some seats to consider....

I installed Honda S2000 seats in my X with no mods other then drilling four new holes through the floor and bolting them in. I installed factory honda seats belts and I love them. They aren't cheap in Red like mine they'll run you over $2000 for the pair and that is perfect condition used seats but I have seen them for as low as 1200 in black. You do sit a little bit higher which I don't mind being only 5'7" but the support is truely awesome and they look exotic.

'PeteX1/9

The X is kinda stuck between modern and vintage as well, and seats are hard to choose. These are on the vintage side but are my current favorites:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-Zagato-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c55be8134&vxp=mtr

I think they would look especially good in a very stock looking 74 with the red and brown interior:geek:

^I think those seats are perfect.

I agree with your other comments as well. I had 1989 Honda CRX seats in my last 79X. I always struggled with the poor space created between the base of the steering wheel and my legs. I had reused my old rails bolted to the CRX seats but the shape and size of the seat impacted the ability to drive the car immensely!

Last edited:
I though hard about those zagato seats but in the end couldnt spend the money.. my Bride seats were just $400 for the pair. I almost pulled the trigger on some lotus seats but they were the wrong color.

Have you seen a picture of an x with the lotus seats? they add alot of elegance to the interior.

Have you seen a picture of an x with the lotus seats? they add alot of elegance to the interior.

I have seen it, although a while back. I remember them being a very good choice in terms of function and size, if not a little modern for the X. Some clever reupholstery could fix that though.

I like the elise seats better than any other recaro corbeau sparco miata 914 s2000 etc that I've seen, but they're pretty rare and expensive

Maybe RBK's has a picture he can share??

I've decided to stick with stock 79+ seats on all my X's unless I decide to really do what it takes to get something that works and looks better than those (which is very rarely seen and expensive IMO)

Some seats to consider....

I installed Honda S2000 seats in my X with no mods other then drilling four new holes through the floor and bolting them in. I installed factory honda seats belts and I love them. They aren't cheap in Red like mine they'll run you over $2000 for the pair and that is perfect condition used seats but I have seen them for as low as 1200 in black. You do sit a little bit higher which I don't mind being only 5'7" but the support is truely awesome and they look exotic.

'PeteX1/9

Hi Pete,
I see that it’s been a few years since you installed the S2000 seats. Are you still happy with them? Do you think that being 5’ 11” is a problem. There is a pair in blue available near me and I am tempted to give them a try.
Thanks

It looks like Pete's last post on the forum was June 2016, so I'm not sure if he is still active. You might want to start a new thread to discuss the specific topic and see if anyone else has some insight for you. ;)

I also have the S2000 seats, as does Clark. They are a great fit. I found I had to make brackets to secure them though. They sit low to the floor. I can always measure the offset, however if they are local to you, I’d just go sit in them & see how they feel.

For whatever reason I was like Pete and didn't need anything other than to drill a few holes in the floor...but I agree with Hussein... very comfortable

I also have the S2000 seats, as does Clark. They are a great fit. I found I had to make brackets to secure them though. They sit low to the floor. I can always measure the offset, however if they are local to you, I’d just go sit in them & see how they feel.

Definitely a comfy seat. Not my favorite look, at least for the X. I went with Corbeau seats for the Dallara
forza-01.jpg

I have an ancient version of that Corbeau seat that was in an old VW Rabbit/Golf (Mk1) track car. It isn't good for track use due to its age but it will work in the junker "outlaw" project X1/9.

What is the desire to buy new seats? Are yours shot or are you just looking for more lateral support? I haven't done it or seen it done but I wonder if you could fab up some lateral support in the sides and thighs. If you buy some foam and find a way to secure it, I am sure a decent upholsterer would be able to recover them hopefully for comparable costs to buying some new and expensive seats. Yes, I doubt you could match the $400 generic seats. What price do you put on a set of seats perfectly formed about your own butt? I've been a butt model before for our FSAE car (who's got the most average a$$ on the team? This Guy<<<< (to the left)). That seat did fit nicely though! Also, if your modifications are minimal, the original vinyl pieces could be used as a template for much of the seat? It would be one way to keep it stock looking, but nicely customized and improved.

Side bolsters require more than just foam piled up, you need frame structure to support the foam bolsters or they just flop over and don't hold you in place. If you are over 21 years of age you may not be able to get in and out of a race bolstered seat if the top is on.

Side bolsters require more than just foam piled up, you need frame structure to support the foam bolsters or they just flop over and don't hold you in place. If you are over 21 years of age you may not be able to get in and out of a race bolstered seat if the top is on.

Sorry I was meaning with support bolted or welded in. That is probably the easiest part for most in this forum. I am not sure the structure of the seat or if it is possible. Also, I've not had much seat time in my car, if anything my head has spent more time under the dash more than behind the wheel in the past 5 years. My seat is in storage now actually. But the ability to customize the bolstering to your preference could optimize ingress/egress.

Back