Seat replacements....

I've been a butt model before for our FSAE car (who's got the most average a$$ on the team? This Guy<<<< (to the left)).
So Andrew, your saying you are a real A$$ ? :D

I've modified seats before; welding on attachments, cutting off unwanted areas, recontouring the foam, adding things like folding armrests, swapping mounts, etc. Definitely doable. And the upholstery shop can cover any mods you make easily; they often need to make patterns from scratch due to the original pieces not being in good enough shape. The cost difference isn't much if anything really. But it is a bunch of work and you need to have a fairly good understanding of what you are doing in order to make it safe and durable. I've seen several "show cars" with modified seats there were not road worthy (although that is often not the goal with a show car).

For my project X's I found aftermarket seats very inexpensively. The more comfortable pair (for the street car) is a set I bought used from a young builder that could not figure out how to mount them. I paid $75 for the pair, which were roughly $600 new. The other seat (singular) for the "track car" is a race seat I had left over from another older project. All of these aftermarket seats weigh FAR less than the stock ones. And I also find them more comfortable (but I'm a thin frame so it might not be the same for the 'average' sized American), and better looking (in my opinion). Plus they don't need to be recovered, so I'm actually saving a large sum overall. However I will admit they are more work to get in and out of like Carl said.

Everyone's needs and desires vary when it comes to seats. If you just to recover your stock 1979-1988 seats, I recently put a set of the Vick's seat upholstery in my 85 X. I think they look great, provided you like the stock seats and really want black upholstery.
IMG_1832.JPG
The Vick's price is very good as well as the fit and material.

I have used Porsche 914 seats, super comfortable and dirty cheap. Easy to adopt. Back not adjustable.

I have used Porsche 914 seats, super comfortable and dirty cheap. Easy to adopt. Back not adjustable.
Could you post a couple of photos of the seats in the car I'm thinking about using them in my stradale build
Thanks
John

Be sure to also armor all to any rubber floor mats and for the final touch do the steering wheel and shifter ball too...that way you get the full effect of feeling like a marble in a bandaid can....for those of you old enough to have played marbles and remember when bandaids came in nifty metal containers.

Back