Selling my 81x on BAT

geekdaddy

X1/9 Learner's Permit...
Fellow Xweb folks. I've decided to sell my 81X after lovingly restoring it over the past six years (and most of it with YOUR help). Why??? Because it's finally alsmost exactly what I wanted and now it's reliable enough that I can drive it anywhere -- but I don't drive it as much as I'd like. I will replace it with something fun but a bit more modern and comfortable for occasional highway drives and hot/high-temps.

The Specifics...

1981 Fiat X1/9 with approximately 46,000 miles. As of 9/21 listed on BAT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981-fiat-x1-9-3/

Acquired and restored over the past six years to keep overall OEM theme but improve performance and reliability.

Exterior trim removed and repainted exterior panels to match original paint which is still visible in the frunk, door sills, and engine compartment. Paint job is 5 years old and stunning. No overspray. No rust outside nor typical interior problem areas (trunk interior, trunk wells, strut towers, rockers, doors, headlight pods, etc.). New windshield installed during repaint.

Bosch FI 1500 Lampredi engine fitted with a MWB performance head, Allison’s header, and exhaust 3 years ago. New aluminum radiator, alternator, water pump, fuel/cooling hoses, thermostat and belts within the past five years. Custom re-built aluminum heatshields and insulation in the exhaust area below the trunk completed five years ago.

Transmission rebuilt (by SteveH) and a new clutch and lightened flywheel installed during the past year. More responsive and faster than stock although I haven’t dyno’d it.

Fuel tank replaced with rust-free version and new sender installed.

Interior redone in white vinyl to match the OEM look and keep cool in the summer. Gauge cluster redone with custom orange needles on white dials. Shortened shifter with Fiat shift knob. Momo style steering wheel. Leather shift and parking brake boots. Carpet redone two years ago with period correct MWB black loop and pad. HVAC controls have glowing tritium centers and fiber optic switchgear backlights replaced with brighter LEDs.

New KYB struts replaced four years ago and fitted with progressive eurosport springs and Plaia strut tower reinforcements. Plaia roller pivots replace OEM bushings on the front struts for lighter steering. Front control arms and bushings replaced three years ago and front anti-sway bar installed with Plaia mounts affixed to the frunk for optimal alignment.

Wheels are polished BWM sportstars with correct fiat cast centers. OEM CD-91 aluminum wheels also available.

Brown-wire mod implemented. Headlights, wipers, starter, and audio/sub running off auxiliary panel and relays to improve electrical performance and reduce ignition switch loads. USB power for rear camera and two driver/passenger phone chargers. Custom low-profile high-mount stop lamp provides additional rear visibility.

All interior and exterior lighting replaced with LED’s.

Digital audio system for AM, FM, Aux, and USB/MP3 capability. Two rear deck speakers and a subwoofer in the spare tire compartment. Functioning auto power antenna. No spare tire included.

Vehicle is tight, solid, and stable and tracks smoothly on the highway at 75MPH. Really.

Fully functional and cosmetically perfect with the following exceptions:

• Approximately four very small paint chips which were touched up on the edge of driver door (one front, one rear), left fender edge, and right fender edge.
  • Small blemish on driver’s seat
  • Requires additional accelerator assist for initial 30-45 secs of cold idle or will stall. Idles fine after that. Cold start injector, AAV, etc tested and functioning properly.
  • Hi-beam indicator on dash works intermittently.
  • Door chime and ignition chime not functional due to aftermarket ignition switch replacement.
  • Driver rear control arm bushings replaced with OEM equivalents during trans install. Originals were still in relatively good condition. Passenger side rear control arm bushings not yet replaced.

Last edited:
Sorry to see this but we can all relate. It all sounds great.

As always in the words of JJay, its going to be all about the pictures, whether its here or on BAT.

There must be a good spot not far from Manchester/Hudson that will serve as a great backdrop that won’t detract from the car. I would stay away from buildings and choose a park setting myself. Getting it up on a lift for pics is required by many. I would go through each part/compartment of the car and get well lit, sharply focused images including some of the various defects noted as a full disclosure. A cell phone can take good pics with a recently cleaned lens...

A video walk around of the car starting, running and the lights going up and down on command. A nice drive video wouldn’t hurt either.

Good luck with the sale and we will miss having you here. All the best.

Thanks Karl. Xweb is one of the things I've enjoyed the most about owning and restoring this car. This community is so helpful, friendly, and passionate! ...and thanks for the reminders and advice about sharing media. I've been updating the photo album and adding videos as well. You can will find them all here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/D2CiHTtxpKieFMr88

Sorry to see this but we can all relate. It all sounds great.

As always in the words of JJay, its going to be all about the pictures, whether its here or on BAT.

There must be a good spot not far from Manchester/Hudson that will serve as a great backdrop that won’t detract from the car. I would stay away from buildings and choose a park setting myself. Getting it up on a lift for pics is required by many. I would go through each part/compartment of the car and get well lit, sharply focused images including some of the various defects noted as a full disclosure. A cell phone can take good pics with a recently cleaned lens...

A video walk around of the car starting, running and the lights going up and down on command. A nice drive video wouldn’t hurt either.

Good luck with the sale and we will miss having you here. All the best.

Good luck with the sale geekdaddy, you will miss your X once it is gone. :)

Your car will sell very well on BAT with those pics. Just need to the video...

Looks great.

The start up video would be best done when initially cold. Somehow prove its cold (hand touching engine, exhaust, etc.) and do they walk around. That tells a lot. Then again there have been many threads on this forum about restarting engine when hot. I am not sure if either are an issue but possibly both should be mentioned and reassured. Good Luck!

I have seen in person the X of Greg in a meet at Bob Brown NH, the car is in super great shape with a lot of nice features upgrade.
It is not a cheap X but I'm very aware what is all expense and work to bring an X to that level.

Greg it sure if I don't have "Kermit" it is the type of X like yours I will looking for.

Good luck with the sale Greg, I hope you will don't' miss your X when the sale will be done.

Regards
Yves

Andrew: I posted a warm start and cold start video. You know the cold start video is legit because the gauge is "cold" and because it stalls :)

The start up video would be best done when initially cold. Somehow prove its cold (hand touching engine, exhaust, etc.) and do they walk around. That tells a lot. Then again there have been many threads on this forum about restarting engine when hot. I am not sure if either are an issue but possibly both should be mentioned and reassured. Good Luck!

I sold a vehicle on BAT and had a great experience. Your car is the epitome of perfection and the exact sort of thing BAT is looking for. I am very envious of your dashboard, by the way.

• Requires additional accelerator assist for initial 30-45 secs of cold idle or will stall. Idles fine after that. Cold start injector, AAV, etc tested and functioning properly.

Just curious about what your RPMs are right after the short period of accel pedal assist elapses and it idles on its own....

Thanks Huey! She's not perfect (my 1 year new cars aren't perfect!) but is in exceptional cosmetic and mechanical condition. I restored her to keep for a long time...

Dan: I've been adjusting idle air and throttle end-stop settings to improve cold/hot idle. Right now, it stalls when dead-cold after about 20 secs. If I restart and keep my foot lightly on the accel for ~45 secs it's subsequently able to idle on it's own, albeit ~700-800 rpms and sorta rumbly. After running down the road for ~2 mins (and anytime thereafter) the idle smooths out at ~1K and purrs like a big kitty.

I'm baffled by the cold start challenges. I've validated the TPS is working, the AAV is working, temp sensors are working, the cold start injector is working, and oxy sensor in-spec per the troubleshooting guide. Timing is right. When the vehicle stalls or idles rough during the first 1-2 mins, it smells a little like it's running rich which implies it's not getting enough air (when cold) -- but again the AAV is wide open when cold and I can crank up the idle air screw but that will result in a too high idle when warmed up. When warmed up, runs smooth, idles right, and very responsive to throttle blips.

Thanks Huey! She's not perfect (my 1 year new cars aren't perfect!) but is in exceptional cosmetic and mechanical condition. I restored her to keep for a long time...

Dan: I've been adjusting idle air and throttle end-stop settings to improve cold/hot idle. Right now, it stalls when dead-cold after about 20 secs. If I restart and keep my foot lightly on the accel for ~45 secs it's subsequently able to idle on it's own, albeit ~700-800 rpms and sorta rumbly. After running down the road for ~2 mins (and anytime thereafter) the idle smooths out at ~1K and purrs like a big kitty.

I'm baffled by the cold start challenges. I've validated the TPS is working, the AAV is working, temp sensors are working, the cold start injector is working, and oxy sensor in-spec per the troubleshooting guide. Timing is right. When the vehicle stalls or idles rough during the first 1-2 mins, it smells a little like it's running rich which implies it's not getting enough air (when cold) -- but again the AAV is wide open when cold and I can crank up the idle air screw but that will result in a too high idle when warmed up. When warmed up, runs smooth, idles right, and very responsive to throttle blips.

Hopefully I'm not highjacking this thread . . . but I think it's relevant

For what it's worth, I have the exact same problem in my '85 on cold starts except instead of 45 seconds it's about 5 seconds that I have to lightly hold the throttle for. Also doesn't happen on every cold start - seem to occur more consistently if the car has been sitting for several days versus overnight.

I went through the whole Mirafiori Fuel Injection Guide and everything is working perfectly as described in the manual.

Just a theory (no idea if it makes sense - that's what you guys are for haha). I know my valve seals are worn - blue smoke on cold startup that goes away after a few minutes. I'm wondering if oil is pooling in the cylinders while the car is off resulting in it running too rich to maintain an idle until all the oil is burnt off at startup . . . would also explain why it happens more frequently/is worse after the car has been sitting for days versus overnight (more time for oil to leak past the valve seals into the cylinders.)

I'm planning on changing my cam and in the process replacing the seals. It'll be interesting to see if the issue goes away, however I won't be able to diffinitively attribute it to the seals (as the cam will be replaced and upgraded too).

I think all of these Bosch AAVs have internal components (bi metallic springs, electric heating elements, wacky disc valves) that are getting old and tired. A generic, cable operated heater control valve with an operating knob in the cabin set up like a hand choke might actually work better to control cold idle/warm up.

UPDATE: Now listed on BAT. Per their requirements the vehicle is ONLY available for sale from their site. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981-fiat-x1-9-3/

1. I've enjoyed restoring this Exxie and largely with help from many of YOU.
2. Wish me luck! I don't anticipate I will recover what I've invested. But pretty sure I've lost a lot more on my daily drivers :)
3. Hope the buyer becomes active on xweb
4. After the sale I will still lurk here and you can all bust me for the mistake of selling my X.

Last edited:
Geek, I think you can edit the thread title under the Thread Tools menu at the top right of the page. If not, I can do it for you.

Good luck with the auction, it should do very well. Already up to 5K! Be prepared for the endless comments on the bumpers :rolleyes:

Good luck with the auction, it should do very well. Already up to 5K! Be prepared for the endless comments on the bumpers :rolleyes:

Hah no kidding. Several already. Folks certainly do like to express their opinions.
I should probably happy that I haven't yet seen a "Fix it Again Tony" comment. Whenever someone tells me that, they assume I've never heard it before :p

Back