Serie Speciale Fender Badge

AKimball92

True Classic
I didn't know whether to post this in the Discussion or Parts Wanted forums.

Does anyone have any details on the Serie Speciale fender badges similar to this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36640154@N04/6378434245/in/photostream/

but with the Italian flag similar to this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36640154@N04/6378434245/in/photostream/

My car originally had one but the badge was lost sometime during its restoration by the PO.
71487454_578334092706253_2135590655924109312_n.jpg
I would like to find one or remake it with the matching number to the driver's side badge.
IMG_3593.JPG

A piece of anodized aluminum and a applied cut vinyl graphic would be fairly easy to achieve. The numbers look like standard punches.

Presuming you can remove the one you have, you could just scan it to be the basis of the graphics. I would make two and frame the original.

I am missing this badge. The DS badge is different and believe special to the japanese market. The PS badge went on all the serie speciales. From what i have heard, they were supposed to match the production numbers but got swiped too often by the line workers that numbers became random.

The P.O. said the badges were numbers matching. If I had a clear picture I would find a way to remake one. I showed her the links above and she said it was a different signature. I am not certain how certain she is of that as it has been a while.

I didn't know whether to post this in the Discussion or Parts Wanted forums.

Does anyone have any details on the Serie Speciale fender badges.....
IMG_0899.JPG

This is a pic of "Aunt Mary's" car I took at FFO 2009, hope that helps! Not sure how high the res is on the forum, but the pic I have on my computer is 864KB. If you would like a file in the original size, shoot me a PM.
IMG_0899.JPG

From your pic of the passenger side of the car, your badge for that side should look like the one from the brochure with the Italian flag and 0333, it clearly isn’t a rising sun, and should be quite easy to reproduce.

Hopefully Greg would be willing to provide you with a hi-res scan of the brochure and or if he has one of the actual stickers a high res scan of one of those for the layout, signature and so on. The flag and numbers are pretty easy to create in Illustrator or a similar program.

thanks a lot guys. I will show this to the PO and see if she can remember what number was on her badge. For some reason I believe she said it matched my DS badge. I am not sure if that is simply 00025 or with the year somehow included. Also I learned and you can tell from the pictures that these are just decals and not metal like my DS badge. I dont know if I want to go through the trouble of recreating it just to recreate a sticker, or to make it in metal.

Does anyone know any custom badging/plaque companies? I haven't done any research yet but will later.

You might try Rallye Productions in WI. We have always dealt with Mary Ferro there for dash plaques for a local car club (we do their artwork every year). She has been great to work with. If they can't help you, she may be able to steer you in the right direction. Something like this may not be cheap, but it may well be a special detail that is worth going the extra mile. Details matter. Hope this helps!

https://www.rallyeproductions.com/rallyes-products

Talking to the PO. She is confident on the 25th off the line part so if i make a fender plaque, is anyone else interested? I am sure quantity will reduce costs. Odds are the numbers can be changed out fairly cheaply.

I talked to Rallye Productions. There are two more things needed to really generate a design:
  • dimensions: i would like to match the serie speciale ones shown in the brochure
  • attachment method. I would like the rivet on type as it wont come off but perhaps the glue would be better. I would hate to do custom holes in the fender.
Any recommendations? Sway me one way or the other!

I'd look into whatever adhesive that 3M sells for attaching car model nameplates to later model cars. Pretty much a permanent attachment, but if you want to debadge with minimal effort and damage, it can be done by using dental floss like a saw.

Example: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MMM...uEyRpTXqSHhoF96Nf_EGmy9enOLLiqAgaAi1bEALw_wcB

Thanks Dan. It does make sense with the adhesives.

Now if only i knew what size board that was behind the decals or knew someone with a early series decal on their cars.

Is anyone else interested in one of their own?

Thanks Dan. It does make sense with the adhesives.

Now if only i knew what size board that was behind the decals or knew someone with a early series decal on their cars.

Is anyone else interested in one of their own?

Those first gen Series Speciales were sold mostly in Europe and Australia....If you are on one of the several X1/9 Facebook pages, try asking there, as those audiences seem to be much more international than here at XWeb.

As Dan describes, the adhesive method should work very well and not require any holes. Most of the stuff used for this is actually a two sided tape from 3M. It is a grey color thin foam material with a red plastic layer that is peeled off each side as you apply it, and can be found easily online in any width or thickness desired. I'd find some that is about as wide as the badges end up to be, and as thin as possible. I imagine the sources that could make the plaques for you will offer that already installed?

If the badges are made on aluminum plates then it will be easy to give then a slight contour, if needed to completely match the shape of the panel it's applied to. Stainless would be thinner and more resistant to oxidation but also harder to work with (if contouring is needed). I'd steer away from plastics, depending on your climate it wouldn't be as durable over time.

There are many car badge making companies that can create anything you want. But they require a very large quantity due to the setup process. So it becomes very expensive. I've been asking around for a source to make affordable one-off custom badges. I'd like to create a unique logo for each custom car I build, something to give it the unique character that I've designed for the specific car. But haven't found any sources that I'm happy with and are cost effective for my needs. The closest was a company that will CNC something out of aluminum or lazer cut it out of sheet metal. I also thought about getting them done with a 3D printer. What did Rally Productions offer you? Glancing at their site I did not see the type of custom designs/shapes/effects that I'm looking for. But if a nice plaque could be done then it might be an alternative for me.

Those first gen Series Speciales were sold mostly in Europe and Australia....If you are on one of the several X1/9 Facebook pages, try asking there, as those audiences seem to be much more international than here at XWeb.

I can't believe I forgot about the international pages I follow. I even talk to a couple on occasion. I will give them a shout and see if they have the dimensions. Thanks for reminding me how forgetful I am... <head-banging-on-wall> then again that might be the cause of my issues...

Of course that's what I measured leaving for work this morning.
If you need precise mm I can get that later.
Your driver's side badge imo is a custom Japan piece maybe via Toho but I've never seen another and I've seen a lot ;)

Back