Shifter to body boot - ripping

myronx19

True Classic
Hi all

I bought a NOS shifter to body boot that was in good condition. It was not dried out at all. I installed it on the car, and it probably ripped right away. My original was ripped in exactly the same way. I can't recall where I bought this one, might have been eBay. I figured this would happen as soon as I looked at the design.

Is there a proper or better boot that is available? Anyone still have theirs? It's not a huge concern (I don't drive my car in the wet or snow) but I'd prefer having it on there. I'd like it to last a little longer than 15 minutes :)

Thanks!

1626713140445.png

Mine recently from Midwest Bayless. It was out of stock originally, then re-stocked. Not super easy to mount but very nice product. Burly.

I installed it on the car, and it probably ripped right away. My original was ripped in exactly the same way.
I think one issue with that boot is the amount of axial movement the shift rod has. It moves a fairly long way in and out, so the boot must accommodate for that movement or it tears. I recently installed one from the LADA parts supplier and noticed the small end of the boot is just big enough to slide on the shift rod without any undue effort. It isn't really lose but it will allow the rod to slide through the end without making the boot "accordion" excessively. That may preserve the boot from tearing. The boot also helps to locate the shift rod centered in the tunnel, which is needed in order to shift the trans input correctly. See @carl's posts about that.

Myron, how tight was the small end of the new boot on the shift rod when you installed it? Could the rod slide through that end, or did the boot have to move with the rod?

Doc, the shift rod is fixed mechanically at the shift lever and lollipop so I doubt that boot has any centering effect.

I got my boot from MWB a year or so ago and it's still going strong.

Doc, the shift rod is fixed mechanically at the shift lever and lollipop so I doubt that boot has any centering effect.

I got my boot from MWB a year or so ago and it's still going strong.
I thought you were the one that found it helped to keep the shifter rod in position? Sorry if I'm mistaken or remembering things wrong. That does make sense that the end of the shift rod being attached to the lollipop/transmission will help locate it.

If that prior discussion (whoever it was with) I threw out the idea of using the shift rod support guide/bushing from a VW, looks like this:
mk1_shifter_pieces_009_1024x1024.jpg

The idea was it would keep the shift rod from moving around too much. The guide bushing is a "ball/socket" affair that allows off axis movements, and the rod slides easily through the center of it. By mounting it in the middle portion of the shift rod it takes all the slop out of the shifter mechanism movements, allowing for more precise shifter action.

Later I explored that possibility further with one of those bushings waiting to go into one of my VW's. Unfortunately it is too large to fit in the tunnel, even if the bracket was heavily modified. So I scrapped that idea.

Is this the one you installed?

View attachment 49802
No, this one:

One end is too long so I trimmed it back:
2108-1703182.jpg

It fits with the original spring clamp.

I installed the MWB unit recently, in place of an OEM unit that was shot to ****. It's still going strong after a couple of weeks and definitely improved the shifter feel. Sorta like stirring a pot of cheese grits instead of watery chicken stock, for the chefs out there. :)

Is everyone here talking about the same boot? On the MWB site I only see the one that goes on the transmission, for the shift selector that is on the opposite side of the lollipop. I do not see a listing for the one this thread is talking about, that goes onto the chassis at the end of the tunnel. So I'm wondering if some of the references to using the boot from MWB is about a different boot?

Last edited:
Hi all

I bought a NOS shifter to body boot that was in good condition. It was not dried out at all. I installed it on the car, and it probably ripped right away. My original was ripped in exactly the same way. I can't recall where I bought this one, might have been eBay. I figured this would happen as soon as I looked at the design.

Is there a proper or better boot that is available? Anyone still have theirs? It's not a huge concern (I don't drive my car in the wet or snow) but I'd prefer having it on there. I'd like it to last a little longer than 15 minutes :)

Thanks!

View attachment 49789
Hello Myron,
In 2010 I installed a tractor gear lever boot, no problem since installed.
The part is easy to found and inexpensive.
VPH1620 Boot

IMG_1729.JPG

IMG_1734.JPG

Yves

Last edited:
That seal is the only really odd one used on the X's transmission or engine; the others are basic automotive seals, but this one has a unique metal flange. I imagine it only fits the Fiat transmission and nothing else so it isn't common. The reason for that odd flange is it provides a place for the dust boot (referenced in the MWB link) to mount. Therefore the boot actually mounts onto the seal rather than the transmission itself. Being a very unique design makes finding this seal more difficult. But it is still available.

However as I stated before, this thread is not about that boot (or seal). It is referring to the one on the chassis, that goes over the long shift rod traveling inside the tunnel.

@Yves, I'm curious about the way the (Fiat) tractor boot fits. In your picture the small end of the boot appears to be all the way down at the very end of the shift rod, where the rod is flat and bolts to the lollipop. My stock boots do not reach that far, the small end fits where the shift rod is still round, well before where it flattens. Is the tractor boot much longer than the stock one? If so that might help provide more "bellows" or "accordian" action, to give more room for rod movement without stressing the boot.

That seal is the only really odd one used on the X's transmission or engine; the others are basic automotive seals, but this one has a unique metal flange. I imagine it only fits the Fiat transmission and nothing else so it isn't common. The reason for that odd flange is it provides a place for the dust boot (referenced in the MWB link) to mount. Therefore the boot actually mounts onto the seal rather than the transmission itself. Being a very unique design makes finding this seal more difficult. But it is still available.

However as I stated before, this thread is not about that boot (or seal). It is referring to the one on the chassis, that goes over the long shift rod traveling inside the tunnel.

@Yves, I'm curious about the way the (Fiat) tractor boot fits. In your picture the small end of the boot appears to be all the way down at the very end of the shift rod, where the rod is flat and bolts to the lollipop. My stock boots do not reach that far, the small end fits where the shift rod is still round, well before where it flattens. Is the tractor boot much longer than the stock one? If so that might help provide more "bellows" or "accordian" action, to give more room for rod movement without stressing the boot.
Jeff,
Ten years ago when I search for the boot tunnel side I never found and no global supplier had any more that boot.
At that moment I have found the VPH1620 Gear lever boot and publish on forum.

Couple months after I have published, some supplier start to have the boot but if you look the picture it is very similar to the VPH1620 Gear lever boot.
ScreenShot069.jpg

Yes the small end of the boot is round but it take the form flat with out any issue,
also what I have done is lubricated with synthetic grease to be sure the small round end can be slide on the flat blade section ... if need to slide.

Jeff,
Ten years ago when I search for the boot tunnel side I never found and no global supplier had any more that boot.
At that moment I have found the VPH1620 Gear lever boot and publish on forum.

Couple months after I have published, some supplier start to have the boot but if you look the picture it is very similar to the VPH1620 Gear lever boot.
View attachment 50100

Yes the small end of the boot is round but it take the form flat with out any issue,
also what I have done is lubricated with synthetic grease to be sure the small round end can be slide on the flat blade section ... if need to slide.
Thanks Yves. I guess what I was really wondering is if the boot you have is a little longer than the stock one? In the picture it looks like it might be. That would be a benefit.

Back