Show us yer exhaust!

geekdaddy

X1/9 Learner's Permit...
I'm presently running the Allison's header with one of their exhausts which includes a cat and small (less than 12 inch) resonator (see below). It's too loud for me. Yeah, when I'm driving by myself with the top down on the 35-40mph twisty New Hampshire back roads it sounds cool. Not so great if you have a passenger and you want to talk. Heaven forbid you should drive over 60MPH -- it's just too loud for me.

So I asked my local custom muffler shop to recommend something with more "muffle." He seemed genuinely baffled about how to cram something in there. For those of you with quieter exhaust systems (larger mufflers) can you post photos of your configuration so I can share w/him? Prefer to also have a cat although not absolutely necessary.

THanks!
2014-04-20 16.41.24.jpg

I don't readily have a photo of our system but if you ask Greg at Allison's, he should be able to show you what he did for us (Denny Allen in Colorado). It is their ceramic coated header with a cat and a larger muffler with dual outlets. The outlet for the other side is placed exactly like the factory placement on the one side. We had the fear fender cut out to match the factory notch. We also told Greg that we wanted it fairly quiet (I'm too old to put up with loud pipes.....it's fatiguing and makes it hard to hear the stereo. I also don't need the attention). They ceramic coated the muffler & cat assembly as well. I will try to get the system unpackaged and take some pictures in the next day or so. (It is packed away for safekeeping until we put the car back together)

Here's one I made for my '85 & '74:
E7056DEE-C2D7-458A-9691-ED3D6B234D84.jpg

IMG_8593.JPG

The '85 is a Magnaflow with a cat and the '74 is a pair of glass packs in series. Neither is boomy but not quiet either. I consider them both just right for my purposes with the magnaflow being the quieter of the two. If the car was a long distance cruiser, I'd want something quieter. But then I wouldn't be driving either car in that situation.

Here is my system and it is quiet after I installed the 2nd Magna Flow muffler. Hand built from 304 Stainless Steel. With only 1 muffler there is a drone between 3200 and 4200 RPM that I cannot live with so I added the 2nd muffler. All is good.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada
Final Assembly 1.jpg
Final Assembly 3.jpg
P3050452.JPG
P3050453.JPG

Here is the muffler/cat setup that Allison's built for us. It is made to bolt up to the Allison header. AllisonMuffler,01.jpg AllisonMuffler,02.jpg AllisonMuffler,03.jpg AllisonMuffler,04.jpg FiatExhaust,01,Email.jpg FiatExhaust,02,Email.jpg The rear of the car photos are to show the 2 notches and the distance between them. We have mounted it in the car (just before dropping the engine) and the mount tabs seem to work well with the stock mount springs and hangers. Haven't had a chance to hear the actual sound, but I can't imagine that it will be too loud with a muffler that large.

IMG_1956.JPG
I don't run a cat, just this "turbo muffler" from Summit racing. As I have said in the past, it sounds like the stock muffler but with more attitude. Sounds fine at highway speeds or around town.

I'm presently running the Allison's header with one of their exhausts which includes a cat and small (less than 12 inch) resonator (see below). It's too loud for me. Yeah, when I'm driving by myself with the top down on the 35-40mph twisty New Hampshire back roads it sounds cool. Not so great if you have a passenger and you want to talk. Heaven forbid you should drive over 60MPH -- it's just too loud for me.

So I asked my local custom muffler shop to recommend something with more "muffle." He seemed genuinely baffled about how to cram something in there. For those of you with quieter exhaust systems (larger mufflers) can you post photos of your configuration so I can share w/him? Prefer to also have a cat although not absolutely necessary.

THanks!
View attachment 5607

My Serra headers that I bought in the early 80s came with the same muffler used in turbo Corvairs. It is a good trade-off between performance and noise.

Finished 01.jpg Muffler Photo Stage one complete.jpeg

Here are a few photos of the project I did a few years ago. I custom built this using a Gibson muffler and pipe pieces from Summit Racing. I wanted loud, but this was too loud, so I added a motorcycle baffle in each outlet. That made the sound exactly as I wanted.

Back