Side Scoop - Weather Seal?

RZSR X

True Classic
While cleaning up the engine compartment for painting I removed the engine Side Scoops and the Weather Seals were toast, well more like burnt toast actually! The one pictured still has it's "shape" but the other is in pieces of chard.

Side Air Scoop Gasket.jpg Side Air Scoop Rubber Gasket.jpg

Obviously these aren't reproduced anymore so what do you restores use? Any links to weather stripping with a channel like the originals would be super!

Thanks

Very good question RZSR-X. I wonder if getting some cellular foam (say 1/2" thick) and cutting it out to shape might be best, maybe use an exacto knife to cut the grove out?

I have mine all apart and recently cleaned off my completely dried and crumble of a seal while cleaning up the outer scoops. Without any weatherstripping, the gap between the inner-metal channel and that outer scoop is about 3/8" all around.

the gap:
IMG_2550.JPG

The inner scoop bit looks like a much thinner, "standard" 1/8" strip of weatherstripping ought to do the trick (but honestly probably doesn't need it). Here's some more pics for reference.

IMG_2552.JPG IMG_2546.JPG IMG_2547.JPG

I don't know where one would get flexible cellular foam. I'm thinking about the same kind of stuff you'd find in a "pool noodle", but black and maybe oil resistant?

the gap between the inner-metal channel and that outer scoop is about 3/8" all around.
(but honestly probably doesn't need it)
I'm sort of the opinion it does not need a seal there. I'd have to look at mine again closely, but I don't think there is any reason for one other than help direct the airflow. And I can't see where that small of a gap in that location would make much (any?) difference. But if you really must add one, I think something like Darin suggested should work. Or possibly some neoprene? Can a edge-mounted type bulb-seal be added to the inner portion?

After a good long time spent on the inner web I found this: Silicone Foam High-Temp. U-Channel Push-On Trim, Ht. 3/8" x Wd. 19/64" - 10 ft.

upload_2018-11-4_21-44-35.png
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-F...m=401463998835&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

I figure it should fit nicely with a little exacto knife trimming in 2 - 4 corners and just under 40" would be needed for two scoops, which leaves enough for two other X's! I've ordered the 10' section so if you would like a 40" section Darwoodious just let me know.

Carl

The side scoops barely flow any air anyway.. ;) and by barely, it's less than the side fresh air vents on non AC cars. I measured!

BTW: I used a seal that was 1/2" wide by 3/4" tall, mounted on the scoop itself. The seal face isn't parallel, and probably varies from car to car, so having something that can take up the variations is ideal.

I think this would work pretty good, but probably will required trim to be both on the plastic scoop as well as the formed sheetmetal is is "mated" to.

@RZSR X - can you check the fit and report back? were you thinking of doing both sides or just one?

@myronx19 - agreed, the sides of the car are not a super high pressure zone - especially compared to the fresh air vents which source from the high pressure from the windscreen. All the more reason to ensure you channel as much of the air in as you can!

i used Frost king weather stripping i got from Home Depot been on for 5 years still holding up

Back