Side vents/ducts, and now Snorkels!

I remember reading somewhere that the FAZA scoop would be mounted on a sliding mount so you could slide it back off the engine cover before pivoting up the cover.
Also, I believe the original Abarth snorkel was part of the engine lid, which was one piece with the rear trunk lid. So the whole affair (snorkel, eng lid, trunk lid) all came off together. Attached by pins and not hinged. Maybe someone can confirm that, but the same concept could be done with the snorkel and engine lid as Kimball said.

I remember reading somewhere that the FAZA scoop would be mounted on a sliding mount so you could slide it back off the engine cover before pivoting up the cover.
Carl, you are right. Somewhere in his Bible, Al Cosentino explained he how to make the snorkel easily removeable by making rails on 3 sides. The snorkel could then be remove sliding it rearward. I was afraid it would make the snorkel a flying object when the car will be in movement, but it seems the friction in the rail was enough to keep it in place. To be safe, I would probably fit a security pin at the back.

Or maybe my memory is going away, and it's another member who explained me how he installed his snorkel. I have been playing with X1/9 for too long!

These look like a really slick idea without modifying the original design that much.
The X could handle those rather well...

index.php
index.php

Didnt the Lancia's do something like this? Its in the Italian racing blood.
https://silodrome.com/lancia-delta-s4-stradale/

How would you make this so the engine lid could easily be raised? It appears like that would impact at about 45 degrees. I think a little bit of tweaking and it could almost match the OEM angle or at least close enough
I like it. This would also be less invasive to the design then anything else imho.

It doesn’t hit or impede the engine cover :)
I can lift mine to vertical due to the strut setup pioneered by someone else. When the lid is vertical, it is the cutout area for the filler cover housing that contacts (just) the sail trim. I’ll take a pic when the weather goes back up.

Probably high quality double sided tape or rivets - not enough flange surface area for anything that bulky.

I’m going to have to take some time to tailor the profiles to mate with the curve and slope of the back edge of the engine cover, and the fender line. It cannot be as angular as the mock-up.

These look like a really slick idea without modifying the original design that much.
The X could handle those rather well...
index.php

Hard part would be maintaining the proper X1/9 crisper profile around the pillar - cannot be soft & fuzzy like the car those are mounted on, IMO

Hard part would be maintaining the proper X1/9 crisper profile around the pillar
Perhaps duplicate the stock lines but come out to the side (outboard) with the additional scoop panel (a little like Lancia did above). In other words, make it wider not further back. Then bring the air through the pillar at the bottom to the engine bay. Only rough thoughts, need to look at things closer and see what is actually possible.

Regarding lifts for the engine compartment, frunk and trunk

You must tell us more about this.
I believe Henk sells a similar set up.

For those who wish to roll their own, have a look at this thread:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/gas-strut-lifts-for-trunk-and-engine-cover.10655/

I think Gregory Smith (Budget Zagato) was one of the pioneers for this as well but the thread I bookmarked which had his pics seems to be a victim of the PhuckitBucket debacle.

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/strut-on-the-engine-cover-whos-dunnit.28135/

Front trunk struts
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/front-trunk-strut-kits.5508/
http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1146981130

Last edited:
You must tell us more about this.

None of my pics are in sequence since PB went down, so I can't readily find the install pics. Basically, same deal as Frunk strut mod. Pivot ball mounted on strut tower, other pivot attached to hinge plate. Allow engine lid to got straight up

X19_0091.jpg

Thanks guys for the additional input on the engine lid strut. I've seen it for the frunk lid but don't recall it for the engine lid. I imagine there is a proper ratio for getting the ends of the strut placed and a correct length for the strut in order for everything to be balanced and operate well. I'll look through the links for more info.

Another example of a roof mounted "snorkel" that ties into the engine lid (not as well done in my opinion, and a bit difficult to see):
ring-brothers-adrnln-12.jpg

8D11EB6B-12D8-42DF-8BCB-3CB0C72B9E3A.png
At some point here is something similar as lookforjoe did. Also a lot of interesting solutions are on others race prepared X19 on youtube..

Nice body mods on that one.

The rear fender almost appears stock at first look, with a stock-ish lip over the tire. But the entire panel has been widened, and the changes are a bit subtle looking from this angle:
a8D11EB6B-12D8-42DF-8BCB-3CB0C72B9E3A (1).png

And I like the "308" style inlet duct incorporated into the widened fender.
I also like some of the other 'outlet' ducting:
8D11EB6B-12D8-42DF-8BCB-3CB0C72B9E3A.png

I'd love to see how they did the front spoiler/nose. Did you find any images of it from the front?

The example Janis posted (red X above) brings up a couple other areas that I'd like to include in my series of discussions on modifications to the X body style; the engine lid/cover, and the rear panel/valence. But I think they should be in a new thread rather than added to this one. That will also allow me to include some other smaller areas of interest (e.g. lighting, roof panel) without making it overly confusing to follow/add to. Look for the new thread soon. :)

Recent threads on the "snorkel" (links below) got me thinking. Although there were a couple different designs of snorkels for the X, none of them were made in large numbers and it is very difficult to find one available today. Some options to make one might be: 1) borrow an existing one to make a mold from, or 2) create one from scratch. Both approaches are very involved projects. So I wondered about option, 3) start with an existing item of similar design and modify it as needed. Candidates for the donor piece include the following.

Off road VW builders used to add a snorkel to the roof of "Baja Bugs". But it attached directly to the roof so it is too short and curved wrong, plus they have an opening in the back to mount a oil cooler (that was the purpose, not to direct air below):
images.jpg
DSCN1060.jpg

Something has been developed for the NSX, but again the overall size and shape is all wrong to adapt to the X:

8597887974_38b48ff338.jpg
MugenNSXRR-062.jpg

And there are lots of options from the dragster world:

102.jpg

Here is a page of dragster designs to view: http://gospitzer.com/2010composites.htm

The problem with most of these is they tend to be carbon fiber and therefore rather expensive for something that will be cut up and modified.

Any other thoughts for creating a snorkel?

Links to snorkel discussions:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....ement-with-pictures-and-a-pole-to-vote.16431/

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/snorkeling-options.34378/

Happened across a YouTube video of a X1/9 engine swap project. Toward the end of it he shows a pair of air scoops / snorkels he made. Jump to the 3:00 mark. It's not a video but a photo montage, and nothing but music for audio. But there are a few shots of how he made the scoops/snorkels, and they came out rather well.

Maybe someone knows how to capture the images of the snorkels from the video and repost here?

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 10.59.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 10.59.01 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 181
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 10.58.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 10.58.39 AM.png
    894.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 10.58.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 10.58.49 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 199
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 10.58.00 AM.png