Side vents/ducts, and now Snorkels!

Grabbed screenshots and they're attached to this post.
Excellent job Darin, thanks. If anyone is interested in seeing how the guy made these snorkels, then go to the video at the 3:00 mark. There are a couple more photos showing a bit of the build process. I like them.

Vents and some more pics
Thanks Ulix. I like the large, flat front air dams on some of these examples. They carry back to the style of that era and suggest a similar nose to cars like the 944 Porsche, Testarossa, Lotus Esprit, etc.

Hmm, none of them is really to my taste (the black one is particularly over the top) but I do admit that the larger flying buttresses (on the Testarossa body kit) do look good. I'm wondering why these are kept quite small on an X1/9 while they are much bigger, for example, on a Lancia Montecarlo. I suppose it would impair rearward vision somewhat.

Dom.

Lately I've been thinking about the X's side air scoops again. And I came across a listing for the Toyota MR2 aftermarket scoops. They are a cross between a "snorkel" and a "scoop" I guess. But I wonder how difficult it would be to fit these on the X? I'm not saying that I prefer the style, just curious how close they might fit after seeing the pictures in the listing:
https://www.ebay.com/c/647706847

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

Work in progress on my vents. Hope to make them neater one day, they will go in through engine cover directly to motorcycle engine air box. At least that's the plan.. lol.

As I stated before, I think snorkel is a bad idea on our cars unless maybe used for cold air intake. For general cooling in engine bay I believe it works against the natural air flow. However, I found a couple of photos that may inspire some of you. -Would require some shaping, tubing and plumming, but that is obviously not stopping some people in this forum:D.
upload_2020-3-23_10-16-12.png

upload_2020-3-23_10-17-41.png

I did a little research this last week on scoops and air ducting, seeing as I'm building a lemons racer, I thought I might as well optimise the intake air.

Now when it comes to aerodymnamics, car guys are usually quite crap... trolling for info via car related forums / information was a total waste of time... the only places I found information that was factual and understandable, was in the aeronautic field. Fortunately there are lots of clever people who will share their knowledge and learning, and one of the best reads I found all week was this guy.

anyway, based on absolutely no money to spend on ths section os the intake, I'm forced to scrounge my used parts shelves to find something suitable.

An old and slightly damaged left side vent, a damaged insde right hand duct, and a 100mm to 50mm offset reducer plumbimg fitting from the hardware store for $2.98... a few hours of time to grind / cut to get things to fit together.

20201017_170607.jpg20201017_170645.jpg20201017_170710.jpg20201017_211751.jpg

an air filter box from a Fiat with EFI (I think a Fiat Spyder would be very similar, and this is what the duct and air filter box will look like installed. The air filter box sitts up behind the rear window behind the drivers head, the lemons car will not be using the stock engine cover.
20201017_211637.jpg

The hose from the 50mm plumbing fitting is a fuel filler hose from a lancia, it's 55mm ID, it nicely takes the intake from the round form to the oval form that the air filter box has, outlet from the filter box is 75mm ID rubber pipe.

If you read the article I linked to you'll get the math / physics behind it (pressure recovery) and with the duct to airbox sizing I'm hoping to achieve an actual pressure increase in the whole intake system (ram charging) as well as also going for a little Hemholtz effect with the large Plenum I'm using over the carby.
20201010_115749.jpg

SteveC

Last edited:
I did a little research this last week on scoops and air ducting, seeing as I'm building a lemons racer, I thought I might as well optimise the intake air.

Now when it comes to aerodymnamics, car guys are usually quite crap... trolling for info via car related forums / information was a total waste of time... the only places I found information that was factual and understandable, was in the aeronautic field. Fortunately there are lots of clever people who will share their knowledge and learning, and one of the best reads I found all week was this guy.

anyway, based on absolutely no money to spend on ths section os the intake, I'm forced to scrounge my used parts shelves to find something suitable.

An old and slightly damaged left side vent, a damaged insde right hand duct, and a 100mm to 50mm offset reducer plumbimg fitting from the hardware store for $2.98... a few hours of time to grind / cut to get things to fit together.

View attachment 37569View attachment 37570View attachment 37571View attachment 37573

an air filter box from a Fiat with EFI (I think a Fiat Spyder would be very similar, and this is what the duct and air filter box will look like installed. The air filter box sitts up behind the rear window behind the drivers head, the lemons car will not be using the stock engine cover.
View attachment 37572

The hose from the 50mm plumbing fitting is a fuel filler hose from a lancia, it's 55mm ID, it nicely takes the intake from the round form to the oval form that the air filter box has, outlet from the filter box is 75mm ID rubber pipe.

If you read the article I linked to you'll get the math / physics behind it (pressure recovery) and with the duct to airbox sizing I'm hoping to achieve an actual pressure increase in the whole intake system (ram charging) as well as also going for a little Hemholtz effect with the large Plenum I'm using over the carby.
View attachment 37574

SteveC

Very cool setup. I'm not sure about the 'ram air' effect though - there was a lengthy topic on the air volume through stock side vents with someone doing actual measurements & it was not impressive to say the least...

I built a 4 inch diameter duct from the driver side inlet to the air cleaner but it was pretty hard to tell if there was a noticeable improvement.

Back