Side vents/ducts, and now Snorkels!

The last one above reminded me of the R8, also mid-engine with a large side intake:
0-2018-audi-r8-rws-cp.jpg

That is cool. Love the front lip sectioning & the glass covered lights, reminds me of my Citroen DS Safari :) Can't what that rear duct is doing though, it's too far back to connect with the engine bay, unless there is addtional work feeding air forwards again. Like Mike said, very little room to work with back there. Anything rearward of the existing vent isn't goign to be very effective without major rework on the inside. I'd love to see more pics of that car, to see how they resolved that.
I would guess that the extra duct is to feed air into the rear trunk, where the intake for side draft carbs would be positioned.

Looked today at car and thought how it could be easier done without ruining frame and visually look good.

I would make original ducts bigger only to bottom part (to line where starts bend of sills)

Soon will see how hot there is inside engine compartment. For temporary solution could use from UT fuel injector fans on both ducts - it would be very helpful in slow traffic..

how hot there is inside engine compartment
Very true, any engine performance enhancer (like a turbo in your case) will increase the amount of heat generated...simple physics: power is energy is heat. So additional ducting should be help.

Agree, rear fender flares would make it easier to add larger ducts in the area of the stock ones, especially for a large opening duct.

fyi...Ron Fournier did a rework of x1/9 rear scoop and fender (in steel) in his book "Metal Fabricator's Handbook". I'd scan it but I lent my copy out.

Ron Fournier did a rework of x1/9 rear scoop and fender (in steel) in his book "Metal Fabricator's Handbook".
Thanks Brian, Ron does amazing metal work. I'd like to see what he did on the X1/9. Anyone have an image to view?

I've actually been following this thread very closely looking for ideas on bigger side ducts.
Brayden, post some pictures of your car.

I imagine like that..
Janis, I like how you retained the body line throughout the scoop's shape. Allows for a much broader scoop area without destroying the original design. The sketch on the right/center of the page (with the small up-side-down X over it) is my favorite.

After looking through my library I found the book. The X1/9 work is under the "Hammerforming" chapter, with techniques like using wood bucks to shape sheet-metal. The text does not mention the X, only some photos to illustrate the techniques for a generic project. Here are the pages (sorry some are upside down and they are in reversed order...it's what happens when you allow me to use technology. I think a PDF reader will allow you to correct this? If not let me know and I'll try again):

Attachments

• CCF10242017.pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 210
Thanks Brian, Ron does amazing metal work. I'd like to see what he did on the X1/9. Anyone have an image to view?

Brayden, post some pictures of your car.

Janis, I like how you retained the body line throughout the scoop's shape. Allows for a much broader scoop area without destroying the original design. The sketch on the right/center of the page (with the small up-side-down X over it) is my favorite.

What I would like to do is just build off of the original side duct so it can easily be removed an replaced but I want to make it flow with the flares.
IMG_20161106_173207582_zpskt5nbifp.jpg

Nice. Style wise rear fender flares make it possible to extend the ducts much further outward without seeming out of place. That could have easily been done as part of the flare design, molded into it.

Nice. Style wise rear fender flares make it possible to extend the ducts much further outward without seeming out of place. That could have easily been done as part of the flare design, molded into it.
The reason PBS didn't make the ducts bigger (like the Abarth/Faza style ones) was because they were intended for the SCCA production class cars, in the production class you cannot enlarged or modify external factory openings.

A little off topic for a second....but still somewhat related to the design of the X1/9.

Google Scholar
Rob's post referenced "Google Scholar" in his search for the Ron Fournier book. That got me thinking (I know, a dangerous thing); I've only considered Google Scholar for scientific en-devours, more in line with my other career. But what would happen if the term "Fiat X1/9" was entered into the GS search box? So I tried it and found these two articles that focus on the X's design. One is a aerodynamic analysis and the other is about building the X in aluminum:

http://papers.sae.org/800142/
http://papers.sae.org/890718/

In another thread "aarpcard" posted this picture:
ferrari-308-gt4-005.jpg

And "TwinCam69" said: "I've always thought the integration of the C pillar vent was design genius."

Last week at the SEMA Show I saw a few vehicles that have really nice side duct designs. Unfortunately the show is so crowded it is impossible to photograph anything, and it is so large with so many vehicles that I don't even recall what all of those examples were.

However following SEMA week I headed over to the "France and Italy" show in L.A. (plus a couple of German car shows that weekend). A guy had a special version (mid engine) of the Renault Clio there. I like the ducts on it:
7778.JPG

77779.JPG

Here is an article on the car: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/n...es+the+Best+Air+Intake?&utm_campaign=GRMDaily

Back