Sitting vs standing at concerts

RJ80

True Classic
So, on a business trip recently, I find myself in Las Vegas with an evening free. Turns out, The Who are playing at Caesar's Palace. Tickets are pricey: about $100 for the upper balcony area where I am and about $500 for the floor. I should note that all areas have seats -- there is no "standing only" section.

I'm in my mid-late 30s, but like many my age, grew up listening to much of the music my parents listened to. As such, "classic" rock -- rock music from the '50s-'70s -- is something that I identify with at least as much as music that was contemporary in my youth, being the '80s through '00s. I've seen many of these acts live multiple times, including Bob Dylan, Bonnie Rait, Jackson Browne, The Monkees, Steve Winwood, Tom Petty, The Guess Who, Three Dog Night, and several others.

In the last few years, I've noticed that many of these acts play in venues that mostly have assigned seats and no general standing area. That said, during this particular concert, most of the people with expensive seats in the lower area were standing. In the balcony, not so much. About five songs in, I decide to stand as well and a few songs later, the guy behind me asks me to sit down. He's in his '60s maybe and I replied, "I'm sorry -- this is a rock concert and I'd like to stand." He complains again and I continued standing. Not many others were standing in my particular area, but some were (maybe 5-10%). That was the end of the "confrontation."

Here's my view: This is a rock show. It's The Who. Pete's up on stage doing windmills, Roger is throwing his microphone around by the cord, it's loud and rocking music for 95% of the show. Behind Blue Eyes was the softest song they played for the two-hour set. Did the people in this crowd (mostly those in the boomer generation) sit down when they heard these groups live back in the '60s? What would this guy have said in '65 if someone twice his age asked him to sit down at a Who show?

I have a great relationship with my parents and, generally, folks of the same generation. I respect my elders and appreciate the stories and wisdom they have to share. But I can't help but feel like I have every right to experience a rock and roll show the same way they did in-period, especially when plenty of people are doing just that in the same venue (although, perhaps not in the same section in large numbers). Was I wrong? Should I have sat down? I can't help but feel Roger and Pete would have agreed with me. It just felt wrong to me to sit emotionless in my seat like many others in my section while Pete's jumping, cursing and doing windmills on his Fender Stratocaster. Not that I was one of those obnoxious concert goers playing air guitar and singing along to every song, I was just standing there, gently bopping to the music.

Meanwhile, the same folks who complained were using flash photography (prohibited), singing, and conversing loudly through the entire act -- the guy next to me finally asked them to not use their flash any longer as it illuminated right over his head (they complied).

Last edited:
Good catch, everyone I know attending the latest Who tour has been very pleased with show and the quality. Who says geezers can't rock?

I don't know, I tend to follow the crowd.

I will find out tonight when I see Roger Waters, the last concert I attended by him there was so much to see that standing in a crowd there was a lot one would miss (the Wall a few years ago).

However it does drive me nuts when people chatter away and sing along unless it is the whole crowd being egged on by the band. The flash thing is a whole headbang experience for me...

IMG_7251.JPG
IMG_7263.JPG

Last edited:
So how much more did you enjoy the concert because you stood? If you had to break it down into numbers, was it 10% better? 20%? Because the amount of enjoyment you took away from that guy behind you was near 100%. Many of the crowd may have been older, such as the gentleman behind you, and incapable of standing for long periods of time. Would you have stood in front of someone in a wheelchair? Would you have that "right"?

Personally I think you showed a lack of consideration for everyone in the line of sight behind you. If everyone was standing, that would be one thing. But this was not the case.

Not trying to be harsh, but you asked for opinions, there's mine.

Pete

I hear ya! But I do see more than a couple problem spots:
$500 for an event is INSANE!
$100 for an event is INSANE!
When I went to see these bands, some as opening acts, some as headliners I was always on the cusp of not going because I could buy their most recent album, tape and a six pack(beer not abs) for about what I spent for the tickets. OR I could buy the 45(old person iTunes download, 2 for 1 cause you got a b-side!) and have enough $ left over to change the oil in the Camaro, top off the tank and the six pack!
No self respecting concert goer would ever carry a Kodak instamatic and a handful of flashcubes to a concert... Lighters we're not apps but in fact lighters! They were used first for freebird then for everything.
The day after your concert some "65" yo was bitchin because he had to stare at some millennnial's swaying butt the whole show.
You went to a fake concert. Real Who concerts did not have a visual aside from flashing lights somewhere near the source of the ear bursting noise. Much too much smoke and haze to see anything.
Cheap seats at real concerts we're on the hill at Pine Knob, as in grass, lay down... You are there, drunk or other with some hottie on a blanket why the hell would you stand up?
If you just wanted to stand and sway you should have gone to a Johnny River's concert...

Seriously, Karl was right, go with the prevailing behavior. If most were sitting then you should have excused yourself and gone off to the back or a wing to stand and sway. I am pretty Libertarian when it come to concert etiquette. Do what makes you happy up until you cost someone else their enjoyment of the shared experience. Kind of what it is all about.
Nothing that is billed or produced to emulate a time period actually does that period justice. You cannot go back there, many try, and maybe it's best that we can't... I am guessing this time period would be pretty lonely if we could! :)
Sometimes when I am driving almost the exact car I drove when I was 19 I feel like I am there... A glance down at the console reveals the iPod from where my 1979 sound track is pouring and I am sucked back to 2017... I gotta remember to cover that damn thing!
Regards

In the early 70's my wife and I went to a Who concert. Gorge Carlin was opening for them. The Who didn't show up and Carlin carried the whole show by his self. The audience all had seats to sit on. I don't know how it would have been if the Who had been there but through Carlin' act everyone sat because we were all laughing to hard to stand. Back in 69 we went to a Janis Joplin concert. I was a bit disappointed when it turned out we had balcony seats and wanted to be down below. Everyone down below was standing. As I remember everyone in the balcony remained in their seats. Joplin was fantastic but watching those people bump and surge against each other was a show in it's self and I decided I liked the seats in the balcony after all. I think you was wrong for standing in your seat in front of someone that wanted to remain seated. It doesn't matter if you though they were A holes if you wanted to stand then you should have moved to one side as to not block the view of others that were seated.

Sitting vs standing? It depends who you are, the concert type and how much energy you have. Both my wife and I very long time U2 fans, in fact while in NY vacationing a few weeks back, we saw them at Giants Stafium. In the past, we've purchased the overpriced seats that run about 1/3 of my mortgage. Sure, great seats. But my story centers on our decision to go general admission to their Orange County show a few years back. I don't regret the outcome for a moment. I would trade all the other concerts just for that one. Sometimes the cheap decision (standing) works out the best.

IMG_1618.JPG

We're dead center on the mic stand, about 6-7 feet out from the 360 stage. There was no pushing or surging or other nonsense you would expect from being this close to the stage. Interestingly, the crowd was very varied. Some were about my age, with some of them bringing/introducing their teenage kids to the music. There was even a couple from Ireland next to us that came out to California for a combo vacation/concert stay.

This one is from about six years back...

IMG_2101.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys... I think part of the issue is I just haven't been in the balcony at a rock concert before. I think that "following protocol" is correct -- if most people were sitting, I should have sat my butt down. Lesson learned, thanks for the reality check.

Coupefan: Great pictures!! Haven't seen U2 yet, myself.

Been to one concert in the balcony section, Mark O'Connor with Charleston Symphony orchestra. It was not a rock concert but was just as intense in many regards. Mark was great but the concertmaster was a rock star! The venue was mostly seated. Chris Thelie speaks about just this thing. Stuff happens when we watch live music, all types, and depending on the demographic and the genre it can be pretty uptight. He sides with really expressing your feeling without regard to the setting. For example the mood is really reserved at a night of Bach but many times when they "nail" an extremely tight part you want to burst out and let them know... Unfortunately you really can't in that setting.
You posted a great question and accepted the response with Grace. My hat's off to you!
Regards

Back