Sleeves

Kevin Reay

Daily Driver
Hi
Just took my block to the machine shop and he is talking sleeves. Is this a viable option as there does not seem to be a lot of thickness between the bore diameter and the water passages.
Should I be looking for another block?
:(
Kev

Kev,

87mm is a very common oversize...only 1mm larger than stock for your 1300 which was 86.0.

Later 1300's and 1500 engines are 86.4 standard and just about always need to go 86.8 or 87.0 to clean the bore up well.

if it doesn't clean up at 87mm I would be very surprised, unless you had deep rust marks or a groove from a broken ring?

SteveC

Kev,

87mm is a very common oversize...only 1mm larger than stock for your 1300 which was 86.0.

Later 1300's and 1500 engines are 86.4 standard and just about always need to go 86.8 or 87.0 to clean the bore up well.

if it doesn't clean up at 87mm I would be very surprised, unless you had deep rust marks or a groove from a broken ring?

SteveC
Thanks Steve, It has been bored once before and looks to be ok except number 4, that has a mark were the skirt has been garbing (below ring contact area). He was also concerned with the rust on outside of the cylinder in the water passages.

If you can't easily find a replacement block locally, I would get rid of the rust with acid, as described in another thread.
See if the bore cleans up at 87mm.
If all else fails you could consider having one piston made as the copy of a new oversized one, but in 88mm.

I will give you a good block for free, you just have to come to Germany to pick it up :-(

If I'm reading Steve's comments correctly, then resleeving should not be necessary - you should be able to bore it enough to correct the problem. And like Ulix said, if boring can't correct the problems then I'd look for a better block. Besides I believe it will cost more to resleeve it than to replace it. Aside from the fact there may not be enough material to be able to resleeve it properly?

If you can't easily find a replacement block locally, I would get rid of the rust with acid, as described in another thread.
See if the bore cleans up at 87mm.
If all else fails you could consider having one piston made as the copy of a new oversized one, but in 88mm.

I will give you a good block for free, you just have to come to Germany to pick it up :-(
Please don't tell the wife!!! She'll start calling travel agents. :mad:

My question would be how much is the resleeve? with that, you can then get std. (more) readily available pistons vs. going oversize & having to deal with spotty availability and/or getting forged pistons, which come with their own set of issues. Might be cheaper in the long run to resleeve.

It's not a big deal in terms of procedure, just more labor & the added cost of sleeves, which may not be that much in the scheme of things. The machine shop that did my 1600 had to resleeve one cylinder when one of the brand new rings broke upon install & put a massive gouge in the freshly machined bore.

X19_0563.jpg

My question would be how much is the resleeve? with that, you can then get std. (more) readily available pistons vs. going oversize & having to deal with spotty availability and/or getting forged pistons, which come with their own set of issues. Might be cheaper in the long run to resleeve.

It's not a big deal in terms of procedure, just more labor & the added cost of sleeves, which may not be that much in the scheme of things. The machine shop that did my 1600 had to resleeve one cylinder when one of the brand new rings broke upon install & put a massive gouge in the freshly machined bore.

X19_0563.jpg

X19_0563.jpg

X19_0563.jpg
The sleeves fitted and re bored were quoted at $140 a cylinder.

The sleeves fitted and re bored were quoted at $140 a cylinder.
So if you only need to do one cylinder, and it won't compromise the block in any way(?), that would seem reasonable. However you might also find a good used block for about that, or less. But if it isn't local then shipping would be a very different story. ;)

Back