Slight Panic--Both Achilles and Federal 185/60-13 tires MIA

Coupefan

True Classic
Usually, when I search for 185/60-13 tires for sale, Achilles or Federal or others usually pop up. This time, nothing. I had to go to carid.com to find a few. I know it's been two years since I looked last, but that was quick. Nothing on Amazon either.

I am hoping some of this is the ongoing supply chain issues due to the pandemic. Of course, you can hope in one and and sh*t in the other to see which one fills up first. 💩🙄

Last edited:
I have always liked the Federals and would like to purchase 2 sets for current projects.

I'm thinking I may have to go with the big dollar Toyo, since Federal has given me an attitude by not responding to inquiries about future offerings.

Edit - I meant to say: future availability

Last edited:
Consider Barum euro made, owned by Continental. I got my set from Discount Tire/Discount Tire Direct
Thanks for the tip. I tried searching for 185/60-13 and only the soft compound Toyos came up. Which of course may be a possibility considering I only drive the X 2K-3K miles a year these days (at least 2020/2021).

In another three years we will all be driving around on trailer tires or race tires! What a pain.

Nice, but sold. But...there's a guy on Ebay out of Italy selling the reintroduced Yokohama Advan (the old A008RS) for about $300 a tire. Curious why Yokohama didn't re-release them here.
Yes I know they were sold. That's why I used the past tense. :)

BUT, my point was I didn't know these were another option. I wonder if the seller has more. Seemed to be a business by their "in stock here in Texas" statement. I may message them and see if they have more.

BUT, my point was I didn't know these were another option. I wonder if the seller has more. Seemed to be a business by their "in stock here in Texas" statement. I may message them and see if they have more.
There were no pictures of the date codes on those tires, perhaps because they are not DOT approved. I did see "2013" printed by itself, but that could just be a code for some other characteristic. I checked his completed sales, that is the one set he had in 185/60/13. He had 2 other sets of Caterham Yoko's in other sizes, all of them look to be in the same dusty condition.

The A539s have been around a very long time. I think they were Yokohama's mid range performance tire when I got my AVS set back in the 90s. Evidently, they are still being made. Demon Tweeks has them for about $70 a piece - no idea if they can ship here.

The A539s have been around a very long time. I think they were Yokohama's mid range performance tire when I got my AVS set back in the 90s. Evidently, they are still being made. Demon Tweeks has them for about $70 a piece - no idea if they can ship here.

Pretty sure you're thinking A509, not A539.

Might of been. A509 sounds very familiar as well.

A509s were some of THE tires to get back in the 90s. So good.

The X I got from MarkF still has a set on it. :) Yes very expired.

CD6C3905-4060-4C9A-AE6E-DC3CDB557431.jpeg

go with the Michelins.
Those in the know 🙂

74666D09-3D2C-4E46-9F93-8D78D3D2FC41.jpeg

A509s were some of THE tires to get back in the 90s. So good.

The X I got from MarkF still has a set on it. :) Yes very expired.

View attachment 52104

In the 90s, I went with the Yokohama AVS AV1-60i:

Yokohama AVS AV1-60i - 1.jpg

Weeks after tire installation, the 1300 motor blew so when I got the car back on the road in 2019, I had a nearly new set of of 185-60/VR13 to drive on. They have about 7K on them now so I should be set for a little while.

Yokohama AVS AV1-60i - 2.jpg

Achilles 122 available at both Walmart and Amazon. Good reviews on xweb. Not chinese, made in Thailand.
I put the Achilles 185/60/13 on my 124 Special a few years ago. They were the easiest tires I have ever balanced and I use a HF bubble balancer. They rolled smooth. I wouldn't call them performance tires, but they were just fine for getting around town.
Achilles_for_124_4.JPG

Back