Slightly OT: super cool wagon found it in a storage locker in SoCal

Someone here needs to buy this car.

imagine cutting the lock off the storage locker, rolling the door up only to see this car staring at you

My knowledge of older "124s" is limited, that appears to be the push-rod engine in it? But being a big wagon body with an automatic trans and that engine it should of had an easy life, it was never able to go more than 40-50 MPH I'd imagine. Good candidate for a drive-train swap from a 124 Spyder.

My knowledge of older "124s" is limited, that appears to be the push-rod engine in it? But being a big wagon body with an automatic trans and that engine it should of had an easy life, it was never able to go more than 40-50 MPH I'd imagine. Good candidate for a drive-train swap from a 124 Spyder.

My 124 sedan with the OHV and auto trans will hit 70 on the highway. I am sure it could go somewhat faster, but I have never tried. I am sure the wagon is a bit heavier, but probably not too much heavier. :)

If anyone here really wants it I'm not that far away and I could pick it up and park in the driveway-assuming it runs even if it helps anyone out.

I would offer to go inspect it but my work schedule won't allow that right now unfortunately

No idea but I seriously doubt it runs/drives after sitting in storage. Actually it would be best not to try and start it until some basic checks and services are done. Unless you intend to do a complete drive-train swap.

Jim, I should have put a smile face on my "limited speed" comment, I was being funny. But it would be on the slow side.

Perfect Fiat for geezer.
Autotrans easier on bad knees, hips, & back.
Room for mobility powered chair scoot.
Enough power to get down to Senior Center for lunch & pinochle.

I'm really tempted.
Even have '72 4-dr Fiat title & VIN tags.

Perfect Fiat for geezer.

I'm really tempted.
Even have '72 4-dr Fiat title & VIN tags.

You were the first person I thought of when I saw it. You need a Fiat shaggin' wagon Mike! :)

Perfect Fiat for geezer.
Good god, I thought you were talking about me. Because it all fits me well. o_O

No idea why but I love wagons. Personally I prefer the 128 wagon. The 2-door style just seems cleaner. But this appears to be a fairly solid body, although you never know until you get under it. Anyone know if that is the original color? Something about it looks a little off from the green I remember.

Thx JiminyD! You musta read my whinings about can't drive stick much anymore due to bad knee, hips, & back. Shaggin' isn't on my dance card much either. Especially annoying since my ladyfriend is smokin' hot...former Miss Oregon. Even tho' that was 50 yrs & 60 lbs ago, she's still a hottie at 75....doesn't look a day over 60!
You were the first person I thought of when I saw it. You need a Fiat shaggin' wagon Mike! :)

50s-60s era kids have fond memories of youthful adventures in back of mom's wagon.
I also prefer 128 2dr, & they are sportier drive than 124.
But no practical way to have autotranny, so sadly just sold my last 128 wagon.
Pretty sure the 124 listed is original color, based on color showing on door frames.
Lotta different shades of '70s green were used, & that one does look off from Split Pea green used on 128s.

At least I can still rock a wagon in style heading down to the Senior Center...
2013-cadillac-cts-v-wagon_8.jpg

No idea why but I love wagons. Personally I prefer the 128 wagon. The 2-door style just seems cleaner. Anyone know if that is the original color? Something about it looks a little off from the green I remember.

CG, you should buy it, wrangle a real title for it (apparently not a problem in your backward state) and then send a private message to me that you want to sell it to me (Forward looking state of Virginia requires a title). Unlike you guys, I prefer the 124 sedan/wagon over the 128 although from a style point I prefer the later quad headlight 124 front end.

I'm working on it. I like my backwards state, it affords options. If you can't have people tossing out perfectly good classic sports cars because they have a flat tire (CA), at least you can have laid back registration!

My 124 sedan with the OHV and auto trans will hit 70 on the highway. I am sure it could go somewhat faster, but I have never tried. I am sure the wagon is a bit heavier, but probably not too much heavier. :)

My previous '73 124 wagon with 1438 OHV and 4-speed would cruise at 70 no prob with margin for passing, and even maintained speed well on grades. Not sure what the auto gearing woud do but the wagons are still quite light.

Back