Slipped, tripped and fell in love ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Slipped, tripped and fell in love ....<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 13 2001 at 1:16 AM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Dave Potts"); // --> </SCRIPT>Dave Potts <NOSCRIPT> Dave Potts </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Got a phone call a couple of weeks ago from my club mate Martin Thomas. Martin is the chairman of the Sporting FIATs Club (formerly the FIAT Twin-Cam Register) and I look after the editorial duties for the club magazine 'Bialbero' (twin-cam in Italian). Anyhoo, like most clubs we get calls from those sad, deprived individuals who own italiana but don't know what they've bought.
Martin phones to say he's had a call from a guy called Dean in Slough (pronounced like NOW) under the approach to Heathrow airport near London. He has some kind of X1/9....

I call the guy and he explains he's bought this exxy to sell it on but he and his family are emigrating to New Zealand and he needs to sell quickly. He says it's a Furlan Dominator 'or something'.....
'Could that be Faran Eliminator?' I ask, 'Yeah, something like that. Do you think you could find me a buyer?'
'What colour is it? Red or black?' (Only two basic colours offered).
'White.' says he.
'With coloured stripes on the rear bodywork. It's been a track car 'cos there's a roll-cage fitted.'

The hairs on the back of my neck shuffle to attention.
Those with copies of Phil Ward's X1/9 book, now turn to page 117.(ISBN - 0-947981-83-7)
Motorbooks International Publishers & Wholesalers Inc., Osceola, Wisconsin 54020.

Yesterday I went over to London to look at the car. Dry stored since its last race in '89 it fired up sweetly and sounded strong with its blueprinted 2 litre. Unable to move because of a seized clutch she showed little signs of the passage of time. Trying hard to control my urge to tell him what he had (this was business, after all!) he reaches into the glovebox and pulls out a pristine issue of Performance Tuning magazine, dated Feb '89. Now up to this point I had believed that the magazine's title was Performance Car (see my recent posting re: their project car. This copy of the PT mag clarifies things.) This mag details the build of a 2 litre conversion by a group of companies that see the popularity of the exxy but also know that many owners want more power. This racer is one of a number that were converted and sold to clients to compete in a one-make-and-model series in '89. Bizarrely, Faran offered a money back guarantee if the cars were uncompetitive. Once the few buyers had experienced the track handling traits of the heavier twin-cam (especially in the wet!) they returned the cars to the factory in smart time, causing the enevitable cashflow situation which 2/3 years later caused the Faran Car Co to fold.

The car has all its race stickers and, given its age, is immaculate. The price paid was so low I can't look at myself in the mirror. I keep asking myself why he called the Sporting FIATs Club and not the X1/9 OC? If he had it might have been given up for bidding (shiver!)

The kicker?
He's so glad to have sold it he's trailoring it to me!

Does it get any better than this?

Pottsy
X1/9 OC & SFC
(those interested parties wanting to see the car please e-mail me. It would be really cool if I could send in photos to be posted on your site too. - Dave)
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT> Tony Natoli </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Some folks are truly blessed... LIKE ME!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 13 2001, 10:23 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Send me some photos... click on name above... you LUCKY DOG!

(Ya know... he coulda offered to repair the clutch... I woulda held out for that and shipping to LA!)

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli
Two '79s, WHITE FANG and BLACK TOOTH
Santa Clarita, CA<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]scot[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->what a find! some people are too lucky.or just good at making their luck good?<NT><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 13 2001, 10:16 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start --><NT><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Dave Potts"); // --> </SCRIPT>Dave Potts <NOSCRIPT> Dave Potts </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Just one time the dollar falls across the grid ....<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 14 2001, 4:17 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Scott,
The fact is I've spent $thousands trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (my project car) and expect to feed it with my life's blood for a while yet. That self-equalising equation, life, sometimes lets the right cards fall into your lap. The problem is that my luck is getting to be far too good ..... I'm just waiting for disaster to strike!

Pottsy <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Brad[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->What a beauty!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 24 2001, 9:07 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Dave, for you to own three of these, that's bordering on a criminal offense! <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Dave Potts"); // --> </SCRIPT>Dave Potts <NOSCRIPT> Dave Potts </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->In a daze ......<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 24 2001, 10:54 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->When you're right, you're right! What can I say? Five years of struggling to get my full custom on the street through periods of unemployment meant my X batteries were so low they wouldn't have lit up a 2w light bulb. Six months ago I couldn't have dreamed that my luck would have changed so much. Just shows that opportunity does knock on your door sometimes (you've just got to be in when it does!) - Pottsy
ps ... if you want some photos just mail me.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back