Smuggled my 124 home yesterday

Will Abramczyk

True Classic
Flew into St. Louis Sunday to pu my 1981'spider.

I am now the third owner.

Drove 200 miles to terre haute Indiana and spent the night.

Since I was officially on a business trip, I traveled to a supplier early in the morning.

On the way, I crossed some railroad tracks at about 40 mph. Next thing I hear is BAM! Separated lower ball joint....after a short amusement ride, I found myself buried in the mud at the bottom a culvert.

A short trip to a local garage...it looked like it could be a couple of days to get new parts.

Good luck struck, owner 2 had replaced the control arms and springs....I had the arms in my boot. A simple swap, and I was good to go.

Will

P.s. No damage to the rust free body

I need to meet your wife.

She is either the dumbest broad on the planet

or

The most tolerant woman (second to mine) in Michigan

I am sure its the latter rather than the former :)

Holy wah, that looks like it was one hell of an experience. Sorry to see it, glad its ok.

Another set of those piss poor ball joints.

Very nice, that is some great paintwork with excellent bodywork underneath.

The second shot of the front 3/4 view, the flip in the paint and highlight on the ridge and hip along the body work looks almost like a pinstripe. Though it certainly doesn't need one...please

Look forward to seeing it in person. Nice work. Thanks for posting the pics!

Josh McDonald is the painter

Josh painted the car for me. (He also works for me)

No corrosion on the car...anywhere.. Rustproofed when new and probably has not been rained on during its life.

He has been painting cars since.

I have another set, maybe two of cd134's going in for powder coat . (I think I have stashed about 34 rims around the house....wife thinks I'm up to something. Sent 1 of the cd134's to California for adoption...very happy retired new spider owner.

Heading to see Matt Thursday in Columbus.

My old x1/9 is being restored to concourse level....went to a good home.

No pin stripe in this car's future.

Color was 856F. Now PPG 4U3 (Toyota) but a very good color match, but modern paint and flake ($250/quart). Spent $2k just on paint supplies...so I guess you can say I bought a paint job and they threw in a spider!

Wife still has no clue...so keep the secret going!

Now will she find the next x1/9 I plan to buy this week?:shh:

You sir, live dangerously. :)

Unless this is one side of the game you and your wife play. What does she do (and not tell you about) that you find ... objectionable? :eek:

Evil me

So, yesterday, I barter with Matt in Columbus... He gets the better on me.
5 185 70r13 date stamped
2 CD134
3 CD16 iron cross speedline and cromodora
2CD3 mint with 1 hubcap
1CD4 ok condition
+ other stuff
I lose, he win, but now new spider have koni's

And the wife still does not know!

Will

Almost done

Car started fine last weekend....cd134's back from powder coat....have all of the parts to complete the resto.

Need to buy new top from auto berry.com and found some Pirelli P4s out of California tire easy to keep it italian.

Don't tell the wife!

Will

Came clean on Friday

The Pirelli P4 175/65 14" tires came UPS from tire-easy ($48/each-new) on Friday raising suspicion with the wife. (Stock tires are 180/60 R 14 for reference)

Had to come clean. She got over this one pretty fast (traded my daughter's 2009 mariner for a new 2014 Red hot red Camaro convertible about two weeks ago - good distraction)

Picked up the car Saturday and drove 50 miles to Pietro's house, he will install new top.

The koni shocks made the ride fantastic compared to the 20 year old shocks that had seen better days!

Top arrived from Autoberry ($379) today.

Should have the car back to Paul's trim shop in Pontiac, Michigan to dye the rest of the interior and weld the seat back frame.

In parallel, I will have the Pirelli's mounted to the powder coated CD134's. Then alignment.

The car should be officially finished so that I can get to my next conquest....308 Ferrari! Heh heh heh.....shhhhhh

Will

Back