So, what is it about a Fiat 128?

fastx19

Administrator
So, I have been recently moving my 74 X 1/9 and my 74 Fiat 128 Race car around on the trailer. Getting ready to move, so logistics you know.

Anyways, when I have the X on the trailer, no one even notices.

When I have the 128 on the trailer, people loose their damn minds. Talking to me at stop lights, giving me thumbs up, and one guy came up and asked if he could take pictures.

Funny how that works.

Same experience with my Xs and 124 sedan. The 124 got way more attention.

From personal experience:
124 spider, acknowledgement from men of a certain age
X1/9, acknowledgement from twenty somethings and oddly women in the 50 plus range
124 sedan, 128 sedan and 131, crazy raves from guys who came from the "old country" and how they grew up with one. And the old country was just about everywhere in Europe and the middle east.

My take away is that if you are over 50 and want to start dating, get an X.

I have to say my X's seem to get more reaction from women than men. Styling wise, in stock form it is kind of a "chick" car.

Interesting comment about the 128. It's clearly a simple 3 box design, nothing sporty or exotic about it. Maybe it's just the simplicity of design that's SO different from what most folks have become accustomed to? I dig it, and would love to have a nice example. (Although a nice 510 would be fun too.)
In my experience people tend to respond to a ratty car differently from a nice example. When I drive my ratty, loud, hooligan '74, I get a few comments, but I get many more comments when I drive a nicer '77 that's pretty much stock. But if you're fishing for looks, thumbs' up, and comments try driving a nice Scorpion!

And that may be why @fastx19's "race" 128 gets more attention, it looks like a race car rather than a street car?
I think it's the Pizza sign on top. It draws a crowd. :)

rome-09-1.JPG

So, I have been recently moving my 74 X 1/9 and my 74 Fiat 128 Race car around on the trailer. Getting ready to move, so logistics you know.

Anyways, when I have the X on the trailer, no one even notices.

When I have the 128 on the trailer, people loose their damn minds. Talking to me at stop lights, giving me thumbs up, and one guy came up and asked if he could take pictures.

Funny how that works.
What colors are they? There are just more FIAT/Alfa Spiders still on the road, and in movies, adverts, etc. I can look for all three on Craigslist - hardly ever find an Exxe. Can always find the other two.

Last edited:
Back