Social conscience and the X1/9

Speaking about social conscience, it's interesting to see what people presuppose when they see stars...

I think I'll saddle up and mosey on over to MIRA for a bit ( been reading too many westerns lately).

If I may - I could care less what people have to say. I am too busy having fun. Over here we have lots and lots of people who drive ginormo-Road Warrior pickup trucks that are clean as a whistle and are never used to haul things. I might wonder what they are compensating for.

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to leave some rubber out on the road.

Dave Burke

If you take a good look at the cars I drive most frequently, you’ll see I clearly don’t car much either. I find that stuff mildly interesting as sort of a sociology case, but completely irrelevant. I love driving my rusty, 17 colors of white, scuffed & slightly dented F150 among the high dollar shiny cars. I mean, it comes down to, yeah your car is nice, but look at mine, nothing to lose, so probably if I’ve got my signal on I’m coming over & you can speed up & try to edge me out all you want! :)

I was out in the Pontiac G6 (3500#, 2.4L, 173HP, and a 4 speed AUTOMATIC, 356K miles) a couple of days ago and as usual I had to run it to redline. As I did this it felt really good and the thought crossed my mind that the G6 engine/trans would make a great transplant in an X.
This worries me.
I'm sorry, I won't have thoughts like that again....

I’m 26. Got my X at 19, thanks to my dad, and I’ve been driving it ever since. Took me to school and brought me home every day over a distance of 50 miles back and forth.

One thing I noticed in school was that it indeed was a chick magnet. Looked like nothing in the school parking lots and made a vroooom noise when the gas was pushed. And then they found out the top comes off; extra mega bonus points. Funny story, I was up in the mountain roads with a girl and we decided to pull over and take the top off. That day I found out how liberating it is to drive through mountain roads and feel the breeze. I also found out that the X isn’t the only thing that can take it’s top off when driving through the mountains. Always wanted to do that, she said.

I’m 26. Got my X at 19, thanks to my dad, and I’ve been driving it ever since. Took me to school and brought me home every day over a distance of 50 miles back and forth.

One thing I noticed in school was that it indeed was a chick magnet. Looked like nothing in the school parking lots and made a vroooom noise when the gas was pushed. And then they found out the top comes off; extra mega bonus points. Funny story, I was up in the mountain roads with a girl and we decided to pull over and take the top off. That day I found out how liberating it is to drive through mountain roads and feel the breeze. I also found out that the X isn’t the only thing that can take it’s top off when driving through the mountains. Always wanted to do that, she said.

Had a nice sunny day a week ago so popped the top on the X and my wife and I cruised through the Ozark mountains.

A story I often relate is about my dad.

At the age of 14 he and his older brother started following the wheat harvest starting from Texas working up through Kansas into Nebraska
This was in 1936 and they worked every season up until the war started.
Dad said he would send money home and his mom would use a little and hold some back for him when he came home.
Around 38 or 39 he and his brother bought a 1932 Ford model B roadster with the rumble seat and drove it following the harvest rather than riding in one of the trucks.
One time while dad was reminiscing about the car and the barn dances I asked about sending money home.
He gave a shy smile and said, "Aw, those girls up in the northern states never saw an open top car like that before", after a slight pause he said, "I never had any money to send home."

Back