SOHC Valve Adjustment tool

Kenny_McCormic

Low Mileage
Are these truly made of unobtainium? Is there another tool that works good enough? I heard something about a early VW water cooled tool working, the one I bought didn't.

Not that rare...

...but not necessarily easy to find on demand either. The original Fiat factory tools occasionally show up on ebay, and Starker made them as well (part number 4119).
In a pinch, a bent screwdriver can be used to hold the bucket down long enough to swap out the shim.

Midwest Bayless lists one here.

They also show up on eBay a few times a year at a reasonable cost. Then there is someone in Australia listing one on eBay for $349.00 on a regular basis, does not seem to attract buyers at that price...

The Midwest-Bayless listing...

....must have been derived from some sort of a Google Search, not directly from our site. We have had these in the past, but do not currently have any available. To find current inventory items, please go to midwest-bayless.com

Well Kenny... I see yur new here...

But Welcome...

What bothers me a bunch is that I have one of these tools just sitting here and because they are so rare... and I have no idea who you are, I'm extremely reluctant to loan it out.

I have mailed it back and forth a few times (about 5-6 bucks each way) but even a 50 dollar deposit would probably not assure its return... ya know what I mean. And its kinda unfair on my part as well to think the worst of ya...

But... who knows... let us know if ya can't find one locally... PM me or call me at 661-296-7277 (9-9 please) and we'll talk...

Valve tool options

Kenny,
I know this question has come up previously on Xweb. Perhaps a 'search' will find some of those discussions (anyone remember a link to it?). But I recall others having success using the VW tool. I'm not sure if they used the same VW tool that you tried (that's why I suggest finding those prior discussions on it, they included the part number of the VW tool). And that tool is readily available for a very reasonable price.
Would it be possible to modify the VW tool you have to make it work?
Sorry I can't offer anything more than that, but please let us know what you find out...others here would like to get one as well.

Tony, that ebay link is now dead.

Imageshack isn't letting me upload more pics, but part number for the Snap-on item is S6114, VW 8v OHC valve adjustment tool....when imageshack decides to co-operate pics of Snap on , Tiger and Usag tools for sohc will be posted.

SteveC

Steve... use the other uploader...

"Postimage.org" that is just under "Imageshack".

I find it much easier and cooperative to use.

Secondly... I tried to locate that tool number on the Snap-on site and can't find it...

Thanks anyway... I eagerly await your fotos and response.

Valve tools

Steve C, thanks, I was thinking it was you that had experience with some optional valve tools. Hope things are going well for you and your wife.

Tony, the link did work for me today...thanks. Having used a motorcycle valve tool previously, I can say it is very likely that most of those will be way too small for use on the Fiat SOHC. But there may be an exception.
The SnapOn part number worked for me previously, maybe try searching a different way? The other brand names Steve mentions I have not looked for.

That tool is the snap on one mentioned around here, it looks just like the Hazet that I can't get working. Am I just stupid? Is there a trick to using these?

LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!

http://zdmak.com/wbstore/main.asp?action=PROD&PROD=VW546&CTMP=1

Just called these folks and they have them in stock. Store is in Northern California.

This should be the equivalent to the the Snap-On S6114 which has been CONFIRMED to work on our engines.

Someone needs to purchase one and confirm. If it fails, there is a 15% restock fee (plus shipping back) and the package cannot be opened. If opened, 25% restock fee... Worth the effort IMHO.

I have an Italian version I can compare it to... Let me know if I can help.

Well Doc... I don't think so...

In this thread... if you are referring to the Bayless part, they no longer have any... per Tom.

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/17107/

You may find some additional information in it to help. Sorry but I have not used the VW tool myself and can't offer any specific recommendations on its use.

As for this Snap-on Tool... It is to be used with some OTHER tool on the 5 cylinder engines. The interchangeable tool that Steve C. and others have spoken of was to be used on VW-8V engines. I don't think this one will work.

I think this is the SnapOn item:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...roup_ID=675628&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
[/quote]

Good try though... I really think this one I found in NorCal will work and its about the same price Matt was selling his for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another alternative is to use the Ferrari method of depressing the bucket with a soft lever and then inserting a wedge to hold it down.
http://www.365gtc4.com/reference/C4ValveAdjustment.pdf

I ended up grinding a cheap, soft, wrench down to a wedge and using the cam to depress the valve. On a Yugo you can put it in 4th, pull the plugs out, jack up the passenger side front tire and roll the engine over with your foot on the tire. I only took half an hour to do all 8 pucks this way.

SNAP-ON responds...

RE: Valve Adjusting TOOL

To:Tony Natoli <natolial*pacbell.net>
Cc:"<SOT Australia - Customer Service>" <SOTA.CustomerService*SNAPON.com>
[FONT=&quot]Dear Sir[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This unit is no longer available in Australia, however we suggest you look on our web site at the YA8825 unit which maybe close to what you require.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]regards[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Judith Edwards[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Customer Service

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I wrote her back stating I don't believe this plier-like device is anything close to working. I had also supplied photos of the exact tool that I was looking for.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It would NOW appear that the ZDMAC tool for 40 bucks is the closest I've seen... Anyone willing to purchase one and try it?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

SnapOn, fall off.

Funny,
"YA8825" is the SnapOn part I referenced above. The description calls it a "wedge tool", but the site does not have a picture to go with it. So I'm not sure just what it is.

Tony, what is this 'plier-like device' you speak of?

Back