Solid vs glass sail panels

Mick

Daily Driver
Hi all,

Doing some research, am attempting to determine, specifically which vin number was the last USA car to have solid sail panels?

My understanding is the 76 model years ALL had solid panels and the 77 models all had glass buttresses, trying to find the ViN number when it changed.

Also wondering if anyone knows the last 76 vin and the first 77 vin, I thought the 77 series started around vin 1400, however my current car is 1394 and it's a 77.

Anyone?

Opinions appear to differ on model year numbers. On the Wikipedia Lancia Montecarlo page, we have this quote:

"A total of 1,801 were manufactured in 1976 and sold as model year 1976 and 1977 (1396 and 405 respectively)."

Further compounding this problem is that some states consider the cars build date as its model year, while others go by date of first registration. So a 76 car could easily wind up registered as a 77 or later if it sat on the lot past new years day (and I'm sure many did).

This website: http://www.lanciabetamontecarlo.nl/ shows this disparity:

"The first few Scorpion's were manufactured in 11-1975, the only latest produced (now known) Scorpion in 01-1977 is #1789; #1805 is manufactured in 12-1976! "

Which I think is probably the result of the "first-registered" thing.

Personally all I can attest to is that my car with its 869 VIN serial number is a 76 and has solid sail panels.

Pete

Opinions appear to differ on model year numbers. On the Wikipedia Lancia Montecarlo page, we have this quote:

"A total of 1,801 were manufactured in 1976 and sold as model year 1976 and 1977 (1396 and 405 respectively)."

Further compounding this problem is that some states consider the cars build date as its model year, while others go by date of first registration. So a 76 car could easily wind up registered as a 77 or later if it sat on the lot past new years day (and I'm sure many did).

This website: http://www.lanciabetamontecarlo.nl/ shows this disparity:

"The first few Scorpion's were manufactured in 11-1975, the only latest produced (now known) Scorpion in 01-1977 is #1789; #1805 is manufactured in 12-1976! "

Which I think is probably the result of the "first-registered" thing.

Personally all I can attest to is that my car with its 869 VIN serial number is a 76 and has solid sail panels.

Pete

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Very interesting! I had #1409 with a build date of 10/76 but it was titled as a 76, prolly shoulda been titled as a 77..man I'd love to find a Lancia
Salesman from back in the day....

Back