Some questions/requests

kmead

Old enough to know better
First, the link you posted in your announcement for the welcome to the new forum by Mark: http://xwebforums.com/forum/admin.php?nodes/xweb-site-help-and-suggestions-forum.55/edit leads to a login box for an administrator.

Any way to get our cute images of the various X's as buttons that represent a particular forum back? They were an excellent means of quickly accessing the forums. Having them at the top and the bottom was always very convenient to easily

I echo the question about how to read the threads, my preference is to have the most recent posts at the top of any thread as I read every post on the forum, having to go through pages to find the newest post is frustrating. Yes I know I could just choose to click on "New Posts" but I like the spacial reference of what forum its a part of etc. Niggly I know :(

Can the post font be changed to a Sans Serif font? The mish mash of sans serif and serifed font is messy, personal preference I know...

Perhaps a less contrasty back ground to the post box might be nice, right now its so strong with the excellent Xweb background, white post box and black text.

Additionally the way the post box has almost no margin from the edge of the text to the edge of the white box is visually uncomfortable, it looks too tight and makes reading unpleasant.

Our old smilie boxes is missed in doing a reply, the ones that appear at the bottom are odd and non standard and where are all the great ones such as bang your head etc?

I am sure I will have further whines as I use the new software a bit, those are the ones so far... :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Karl. Responses in line.

First, the link you posted in your announcement for the welcome to the new forum by Mark: http://xwebforums.com/forum/admin.php?nodes/xweb-site-help-and-suggestions-forum.55/edit leads to a login box for an administrator.

Oops - fixed.

Any way to get our cute images of the various X's as buttons that represent a particular forum back? They were an excellent means of quickly accessing the forums. Having them at the top and the bottom was always very convenient to easily

My initial experiments with this didn't go well but on the list to try again

I echo the question about how to read the threads, my preference is to have the most recent posts at the top of any thread as I read every post on the forum, having to go through pages to find the newest post is frustrating. Yes I know I could just choose to click on "New Posts" but I like the spacial reference of what forum its a part of etc. Niggly I know :(

There is an option to do newest first, but it's global for everyone. There was some debate about this in the prototyping stage. May still consider

Can the post font be changed to a Sans Serif font? The mish mash of sans serif and serifed font is messy, personal preference I know...

Will look at that one too

Perhaps a less contrasty back ground to the post box might be nice, right now its so strong with the excellent Xweb background, white post box and black text.

Agree - it's not quite right. I had it transparent in prototype but that caused problems with invisible items elsewhere. More tweaking to be done

Additionally the way the post box has almost no margin from the edge of the text to the edge of the white box is visually uncomfortable, it looks too tight and makes reading unpleasant.

Agree - although as I type this response, there's a but more margin than in the post above. Needs investigation.

Our old smilie boxes is missed in doing a reply, the ones that appear at the bottom are odd and non standard and where are all the great ones such as bang your head etc?

So many platforms, so many emoji :)

I am sure I will have further whines as I use the new software a bit, those are the ones so far... :)

I loved how the old system marked the new msg. separate from the already read msg.

I found it nice to read the 1st few msg's of a topic and then click the show new msg.

I did just find the read new post buttons (not quite as nice as the old system where it was just there and noticed).

But all in all. For such a MAJOR system change. I am very surprised that it is working at all. As computers seem to NEVER do what you tell them the 1st time.

Good job!!! and a big THANK YOU for your work and efforts!!!!

Thanks for the feedback Karl. Responses in line.
I apologize, I neglected to say thank you very very much for all the work of changing the system over. It works a treat and is a fantastic change.

I look forward to how you guys make it into "home" by tweaking things in.

Thanks again

Karl

Yep , found it a bit straaaange for a start, but I am sure we will get used to it pretty soon. Hmmm, now how do I post pics???? :-(

cheers, Ian - NZ

Pic posting will be much easier than before. Right now i'm chasing a problem with larger pics (2MB+) and specific browsers

Down there below you'll see a button marked Upload a File. Click that, select your pic and the photo will appear in post, either as as a thumbnail or full image. Images will be hosted locally - no outside links needed (although those will still work too. The pics will be size limited to 1600x1200 but larger ones will be auto-resized.

I second the request for getting the icons across the top again. Way more straightforward to quickly hop between the forums than now. Apart from that, it's coming along great!

Back