Some Rock Auto X1/9 Closeouts

Just a heads up. Several of those parts are not correct for the X1/9. I've purchased a few in the past and found out the hard way. Apparently their system has erroneous listings and they continue to sell them despite being informed of the errors. Perhaps that's why they are being closed out.

Just a heads up. Several of those parts are not correct for the X1/9. I've purchased a few in the past and found out the hard way. Apparently their system has erroneous listings and they continue to sell them despite being informed of the errors. Perhaps that's why they are being closed out.
Hey Dr Jeff I wish I would have saw this post earlier, I just ordered a clutch master cylinder and a clutch slave cylinder from them. Has anyone else ordered from them? Any issues?

I recently got an erroneous part from RockAuto. It was (and still is) listed as an engine intake air filter for fuel-injected X1/9s ('84-up). What I received was a giant canister filter the size of a portable wet-or-dry vac, apparently made for diesel tractors or medium-sized trucks. First time this has happened over many purchases in the last 5-ish years. They seem to be getting sloppy. There were also a couple of errors in the packing slips included with another purchase (like, one item listed as 'quantity zero shipped' when the item was right there in the box). The price of too much success?

I have ordered quite a bit from RockAuto (I have about a dozen of their fridge magnets) and they usually do OK.

I don't think they have their own warehouses, but connections all over where the parts really are; that's why shipments are broken up the way they are- I have tailored my orders to have all the parts come from one place to only be charged one shipping fee, for example.

So the accuracy of the picking of an order is somewhat random, especially with the current covid situation; not an older guy who's been there forever, but a new kid who doesn't understand the shelving system irregularities and is in a hurry trying to keep up with shipments.

I've also ordered from RA many times over many years. And honestly there have been minor issues on some of the orders all along. However in the past they were very good about correcting the mistakes; the item was credited and you did not have to return it. But that changed as they grew bigger. Mistakes are more frequent, returns are not so easy, and they are not as friendly and helpful....the service is definitely lacking overall. I've also noticed the pricing isn't as great as it used to be either. In the beginning (several years ago) their deals were amazing. Now they are not much better than the average big box chain parts stores (at least on the stuff I look for). Clearly their business model has changed as well. Initially they purchased all of their stock from various parts stores, suppliers, warehouses, etc, that were going out of business or otherwise clearing out old inventory. And that was great for those of us that like to own and work on old cars because it was mostly parts for older applications. Now it seems most of their stuff is new merchandise directly from the same sources as every other parts store. So they have gone from being a unique discount source of NOS and obsolete (i.e. hard to find) parts to just another online parts seller.

I was in a time crunch several years ago and needed a right hand drive X steering rack for the 600. I called Rock Auto and they had a rebuilt rack in England. I paid the required air freight and it was at my house in Va 3 days later. Bad timing on my part, but excellent service on their part.

I was in a time crunch several years ago and needed a right hand drive X steering rack for the 600. I called Rock Auto and they had a rebuilt rack in England. I paid the required air freight and it was at my house in Va 3 days later. Bad timing on my part, but excellent service on their part.
Interesting, so you mounted the RHD drive upside down to reverse the motion as the 600 is front steer? Tricky sir, tricky :)

Interesting, so you mounted the RHD drive upside down to reverse the motion as the 600 is front steer? Tricky sir, tricky :)

Not quite.
The rack mates to the '88 Fiero (GT?) uprights that are also front steer.
I'll post some pics on my "600 Autocrosser" thread next time I pull a front wheel.

Last edited:
I found their customer service was pretty good several years ago. However I have not found that to be the case more recently.

I needed a brake part for my '97 Suburban. Several places locally or online couldn't get the correct part, only a universal one. Rock Auto had the exact part for $6 and gave me several shipping options with the cheapest one being by USPS at about $4. I chose USPS.
Ordered the part on 5/6, delivery was promised on 5/14. It arrived on 5/8.
Maybe it's the luck of the draw, but I've had no problem with Rock Auto.

I don't mean to be too hard on them. For the longest time I was very impressed with what they offered for my various old car projects. I guess I just had a string of bad experiences that tanted my view.

One thing that changed was they no longer allowed phone contact to discuss problems or ask questions. Hopefully that has changed again because the only alternative was email, which they selectively ignored. Although the guys that answered the phone often knew nothing more than the limited description on the site. But at least you could talk to somebody.

I must say my first experience with them was great. I received the clutch master and slave at a fraction of the cost than other places, shipped from Tennessee USA on Wednesday arrived in Markham Ontario Canada on Friday.

I think what happens in many cases is a specific part number is used for more than one component. Either by different manufacturers or for different types of parts. So when large parts houses like RA get a big inventory of mixed items from a warehouse closeout or such, they try to identify each item by the number. Often leading to misidentification.

I found one of the front control arms - the right side, I think it was - on sale in the past few months, paid $30 for it. Sold under one of the Amercian companies like NAPA that just rebox EU parts, so in the box was a nice Italian production control arm WITH the threaded radius rod hole(!) I like that they offer different levels for many parts. My only complaint is that the website doesn't store my username & password, and I don't use them often enough to remember what combination I use....

Back