Some stuff I have been working on

Dallarax19

Builder -Dallara Replica
I have needed to brush up on my CAD skills so here are some pics of the my latest work:
FiatRearSuspension2.jpg

FiatRearSuspension.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvHQ-MwDgoY"]YouTube - Fiat X1/9 Rear Suspension Jounce and Rebound[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toBYTrIp6Vo"]YouTube - Fiat X1/9 Rear Suspension Toe[/ame]

Most of you seem to find interest with this kind of tech stuff so I thought I would post it - FYI reference.

Great Stuff... Are the movements actually to "scale"...

... and outside of this stuff being fun... are you planning on using it to design anything in particular or upgrade the suspension?

I am using SOLIDWORK quite extesively

and I find it as much fun as it is work.
What is it that you are using?

The movements are scale. It is the real deal not a cartoon action adventure. I wanted to determine the dynamic sensitivities with it. Due to the larger dia wheels I have different limitations than others so better to simulate on CAE than empirically. Other folks have similar studies. Brad Garska, probably Mark Plaia. I will study it in the context of my set up to help resolve a few dynamic issues.

Herzel, I use Catia V5, what is it exactly you do? I am curious what you would use solid works for.

Rendering is my thing

URL]

No, it's not car related - unless you count the RPC auto images.... I have done quite a bit of animation, again work related..... The latest version of MicroStation is really incredible!

I have been planning on modeling my Formula Ford for kicks.

Interesting to see what programs you are all using. As an Industrial Design student, we exclusively use Solidworks. Its amazing, we make our 3D model, use the program to print engineering drawings and then use it for the renders - if you know what your doing you can make your products actually look real! My Solidworks skills arent that good (which is kinda scary since I'll be starting 4th year design next year!) but I am waiting for my new computer to come. When I get it I will have SW2008 and am going to rip into making some Fiat bits! If you take the time to learn it, its amazing. Damn rebuilt errors though!

Solidwork is a major CAD program

It runs on advanced PCs but it is quite powerfull.
I do design work, some mechine design and other mechanical for MRI equipment.
It is great to use and runs the whole range from 3D part design to assemblies and mechanisms.
Look it up in Google, I think they have a demo version.

Getting parts

How do you folks get parts into the designs?
Our guys use laser 3D CMM, and I'm thinking of using it to get a knuckle forging into the system. That way, we could maybe figure out how to have knuckles made that are stronger and use larger off-the-shelf hub and bearing assemblies. Then there's the potential of raising the bearing in the knuckle to allow larger wheels while still lowering the car, keeping the same travel, etc.
Or is that just doing something that's already been done many times over?

Xcellent... Due to my old age and suspicious nature...

... I'm leary about everything I see, hear and smell anymore... bot on the net and off.

This technology is really rocketing and leaving me in the dust... but I applaud it. Especially when its actually being USED to create something tangible.

I don't think I asked the question right, actually I am quite familiar with Solidworks, Pro-E, Alias, Mechanical Desktop, etc. I was really asking what you are designing with Solidworks - like what is your job? It sounds like you are a "Jack of all trades". Great!

Back