Something’s Leaking - escaping, oil / fluid-wise. Thoughts?

It is all incremental and a process of going through each thing as you find it.

Discerning what the actual problem is is the hard part.

It is all incremental and a process of going through each thing as you find it.

Discerning what the actual problem is is the hard part.
It’s a ‘fluid’ process for sure ;) There’s still a chance the gaskets/seals beneath the fuel pump are trickling a bit, but that can wait until the next oil change…

It’s a ‘fluid’ process for sure ;) There’s still a chance the gaskets/seals beneath the fuel pump are trickling a bit, but that can wait until the next oil change…
Congrats on another successful repair. You can now advise others on the likely causes of oil leaks and sepage. We needed an expert in that subject…

Congrats on another successful repair. You can now advise others on the likely causes of oil leaks and sepage. We needed an expert in that subject…
lol - as long as that Master Mechanic-repaired 'main seal' stays sealed, I think the other leaks were oversights by the P.O.
But it's a little exciting to track down and repair, especially when it turns out to work.
If there was twice as much space and a lift in the garage, I'd be riding the expert slopes in no time...lol
I honestly didn't think we'd still have the little monster this long, but thanks to a bunch of you guys, it's made the learning/acceptance factor palatable
And it's a ton of fun to drive too :)

No, you don't need to drain the oil first. Some oil will spill, but it is very manageable. No worse than replacing an oil filter.
Old reply update if you please. So if the car has been sitting a while, any oil present will have settled back into the sump below? Sorry if this sounds stupid, but since this is all new to me, yes, I'm stupid here. :)
Does the same go for the oil filter? How much oil should I expect will drain down on my face when removing either of these from below?

You will get some drips from removing the oil filter but nothing a rag can't handle.

If you are removing the sump, use drain plug to empty out the oil first. Should be about 5 quarts. Drain it into a pan without your face in the way.

You will get some drips from removing the oil filter but nothing a rag can't handle.

If you are removing the sump, use drain plug to empty out the oil first. Should be about 5 quarts.
Not planning on the sump - was just thinking about removing the pressure sending unit, and seeing if I could clean up the threads, tape it and re-seat it to see if that will stop the slow leaking, before ordering a replacement. It's possible the WD folks didn't replace it properly after they cleaned the engine, or at least check it

Not planning on the sump - was just thinking about removing the pressure sending unit, and seeing if I could clean up the threads, tape it and re-seat it to see if that will stop the slow leaking, before ordering a replacement. It's possible the WD folks didn't replace it properly after they cleaned the engine, or at least check it
I don't think you will lose much oil removing the sending unit as long as the engine has been sitting long enough to drain.

... I could clean up the threads, tape it and re-seat it to see if that will stop the slow leaking,...
No tape, this is not pipe thread. The sender uses a crush washer for sealing and it is good practice to replace the crush washer if the sender has been removed.

No tape, this is not pipe thread. The sender uses a crush washer for sealing and it is good practice to replace the crush washer if the sender has been removed.
crush washer? do you have a suggestion or link where I'd find the correct one? So would you say NO to thread sealant as well?

crush washer? do you have a suggestion or link where I'd find the correct one? So would you say NO to thread sealant as well?
You also want to make sure the sensor is well grounded as the case is part of the circuit. While the odds that teflon tape or thread sealant completely insulating the case are not that high, you would be safer just using the crush washer. I reused mine and got by with no leaks. I see that MWB has them in stock although you should be able to find them locally (M14 x20).

You also want to make sure the sensor is well grounded as the case is part of the circuit. While the odds that teflon tape or thread sealant completely insulating the case are not that high, you would be safer just using the crush washer. I reused mine and got by with no leaks. I see that MWB has them in stock although you should be able to find them locally (M14 x20).
Brilliant - thanks for the part number :)

Back