Something’s Leaking - escaping, oil / fluid-wise. Thoughts?

Okay, while working on my subwoofer install today, I may have inadvertently found an oil leak source.
The oil pressure sending unit…looks like it’s either leaking, or something around it. Also, there seems to be overspray on the tube just to the left?

26675E32-8963-4919-85F6-50155CE2869E.jpeg

It seems to be originating up here, and then down it goes…also, does the seal around the pan look leaky as well?

44A109A3-4119-424D-B039-FC60D748DC02.jpeg
D9F89350-B7F4-43C6-AAAB-666323148357.jpeg

Last edited:
Leaks between the oil pan and the block are possible. It is hard to tell from your photos, but it looks to me like you have the rubber oil pan gasket intended for 128 / Strada etc. with stamped steel oil pans. For the X1/9 with a cast aluminum oil pan, a thin paper gasket is correct. Either one can be made to seal, so I wouldn't change the gasket unless it is confirmed to be a problem.

The black wire bolted to the bottom of the block is not stock. I am guessing someone added an extra ground from block to body, but that wire is awfully thin to serve that purpose. Is the stock braided ground from transaxle to body present and in good condition?

Leaks between the oil pan and the block are possible. It is hard to tell from your photos, but it looks to me like you have the rubber oil pan gasket intended for 128 / Strada etc. with stamped steel oil pans. For the X1/9 with a cast aluminum oil pan, a thin paper gasket is correct. Either one can be made to seal, so I wouldn't change the gasket unless it is confirmed to be a problem.

The black wire bolted to the bottom of the block is not stock. I am guessing someone added an extra ground from block to body, but that wire is awfully thin to serve that purpose. Is the stock braided ground from transaxle to body present and in good condition?
Where is that braided ground found, I’ll check. The solid, drop of oil in the first photo thats formed and about to drop, from the pressure unit, seems fairly likely?

Where is that braided ground found, I’ll check. The solid, drop of oil in the first photo thats formed and about to drop, from the pressure unit, seems fairly likely?
Yes, that certainly points to the oil pressure sending leaking. If you can live with the dripping for a bit longer, I would wait until the next oil change to replace the sender; no need to make a mess twice.

See below for the only photo I can find of the ground strap on my '85. This is looking in from the left rear of the car. For orientation; the plastic hose in the center of the photo (just left of the ground strap) goes into the transaxle fill hole on the differential.

DSCN2606M.jpg

Yes, that certainly points to the oil pressure sending leaking. If you can live with the dripping for a bit longer, I would wait until the next oil change to replace the sender; no need to make a mess twice.

See below for the only photo I can find of the ground strap on my '85. This is looking in from the left rear of the car. For orientation; the plastic hose in the center of the photo (just left of the ground strap) goes into the transaxle fill hole on the differential.

View attachment 48572
Brilliant - I do believe I’ve seen that braided cable but wasn’t sure of its plan. Great photo, thanks. Good idea about the sender, unless it starts spraying oil all over a hot engine?

Leaking from the same places as mine, drive shaft boots and the gear selector input shaft boot.
Does your gear selector input shaft boot have a clamp as seen in this photo, but at the other end as well? I don‘t believe I see a clamp on mine where it connects to the transmission fluid box.

3CE5CB28-CC3A-4157-86AA-6807643CA961.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the part:
View attachment 48326

It is removed by tapping it out with a dutiable drift or better yet the open end wrench shown above and then installed preferably with a deep socket to be able to tap it in.

Wrap the end of the shift rod in electrician's tape so the slot for the outer boot won't mangle the seal, the slide the seal over the shaft and set in position. Find a deep socket that just barely slides over the shifter shaft, and use it to seat the seal. A few gentle taps on the end of the socket with a hammer will do the trick.

Then reinstall the outer boot. The tranny end of the boot seats in the slot in the outside of the seal carrier.

The above is from EricH’s post from 2013…
Don’t see this at MWB. What are the correct search words?

Probably a rat…

UPDATE: optical illusion. All is well, maybe a slightly deformed piece of hose.

Last edited:
No, the seal has a slight leak on mine, I’ve not been brave enough to replace it yet. Th seal alone should keep oil in.

You may need to buy it from Eurosport
It's always great when NONE of the words used to describe this part show up in the service manual, at least to identify it within:

Does your gear selector input shaft boot have a clamp as seen in this photo, but at the other end as well? I don‘t believe I see a clamp on mine where it connects to the transmission fluid box.

View attachment 50096
Regarding the boot clamp tunnel side, yes on the 5 speed transmission the clamp is present but for 1974 4 speed transmission maybe the clamp is not present.

A 74-75 owner can confirm.

The picture came from my car and it is 85-86.

It's always great when NONE of the words used to describe this part show up in the service manual, at least to identify it within:

The seal is also available at Vick Auto.

Transmission seal shift round rod

Regarding the boot clamp tunnel side, yes on the 5 speed transmission the clamp is present but for 1974 4 speed transmission maybe the clamp is not present.

A 74-75 owner can confirm.

The picture came from my car and it is 85-86.
Lol, ok, now I’m confused (nothing new there). In this photo, which is the ‘boot clamp tunnel side’, left or right? Note I have clamps on neither, because the previous owner yanked the engine out so many times they probably lost it:

AE2BAF13-8852-48CA-B723-862C19A09B45.jpeg

Back