Something of a modern day X1/9?

I am hoping to acquire an Autozam AZ-1

Happily I am just the right size to fit.

162E6A1B-3B9F-4F06-9A77-A958154C9C63.jpeg
1AFD0A7D-CC34-4B20-9EF1-7380A5564A39.jpeg

Perhaps it is something about all those hatches and doors...

Agreed, I like it to. Japan has a number of small "Kei" cars that I'm attracted to. I've always had a thing for little cars...maybe because I also fit them well. Unfortunately we will never get them due to safety/crash test requirements. One of my all time favorite cars is the Autobianchi A112 (although it is not as small as the Kei's).

Yeah between import costs and their relative rarity they are likely more than I am willing to pay. Gotta dream though!

this thing I think is interesting about these Kei cars, is that the X actually fits the specifications (if I read them correctly)

Odie

As you say, the output of these smaller engines is about the same as the X's (despite the big difference in displacement). They are roughly comparable in size and general features also. So the Kei cars are very similar to the X in more ways than one, even if the X does not fit the technical definition.

Agreed, I like it to. Japan has a number of small "Kei" cars that I'm attracted to. I've always had a thing for little cars...maybe because I also fit them well. Unfortunately we will never get them due to safety/crash test requirements. One of my all time favorite cars is the Autobianchi A112 (although it is not as small as the Kei's).
You can actually get one, they are been exported per the 25yr old car rule.They are legal!!....now

exported per the 25yr old car rule.They are legal!!....now
I assume you are referring to the Autobianchi? There was one for sale in So Cal for a long time. Supposedly the Abarth version, however I'm not certain it is. Actually it might still be available due to the high asking price.

I assume you are referring to the Autobianchi? There was one for sale in So Cal for a long time. Supposedly the Abarth version, however I'm not certain it is. Actually it might still be available due to the high asking price.
No, any car produced worldwide that has 25 or more yrs you can bring it to the USA, no problem

True, but in the context of this discussion the other models discussed are much newer. However your point is a good one, it opens up some great possibilities. I saw a web site selling various vehicles from Japan that have exceeded their mileage/smog law constraints. Most are newer but there were a few cool older models available, and extremely affordable. They quoted surprisingly low shipping rates as well. Unfortunately I'm not much of a Asian car market enthusiast. I need to get a contact in Europe to hunt for good candidates to ship here...might even be a business opportunity?

True, but in the context of this discussion the other models discussed are much newer. However your point is a good one, it opens up some great possibilities. I saw a web site selling various vehicles from Japan that have exceeded their mileage/smog law constraints. Most are newer but there were a few cool older models available, and extremely affordable. They quoted surprisingly low shipping rates as well. Unfortunately I'm not much of a Asian car market enthusiast. I need to get a contact in Europe to hunt for good candidates to ship here...might even be a business opportunity?
There may be, i spent 20yrs of my life in the car business.Last 10 with my own importing business buying mostly at Florida auctions n shipping them to my native Puerto Rico.It was good business back then.Dont know if i have the energy to do it again.Specially internationally with no contacts and or imput on the matter.But would love to do it again even if it is on a limited basis.

Reminds me of the old "grey market car" days. I dabbled in that a little; considered going into the "federalization" business for them, but dealing with government regulations was not worth the headache. That's what's nice about the 25 year exclusion...less red-tape (although that might not be as true as one would think, given how our government works).

Back