Speedo Cable Lube

Malcolm Vallier

Low Mileage
Hi, Im fairly new on this site my father has been on here for quite some time. I'm inquiring about how to lube and what kind of lube to use on the speedometer cable when replacing it? I have a 78 X and a brand new cable from midwest bayless and want to make sure i use the right stuff as to not have to redo this whole process again.
Thanks

Hi Malcolm. We are familiar with your X1/9 by way of your father's posts. Nice car. And glad that you've joined the forum, Cliff is a valued member.

They actually make a lubricant specifically for speedo cables. Or at least they used to, these days most cars don't use cables so I'm not sure if they still make the lube. But it doesn't matter because it was basically just the equivalent to white lithium grease. Anything along those lines will work. And the more modern synthetic greases would be even better. Just coat the inner cable as you feed it through the jacket. It will make a mess but that's normal when working with any grease. Clean up the excess so it doesn't gather dirt/debris on the outside.

Hope to hear more from you as you enjoy the car.

Thank you for the quick reply I have some synthetic brake component lubricant. Is that something I could use? Since I've looked I don't have any white lithium and you mentioned the synthetic greases work better? Thanks again

That should be fine if you have enough. Sometimes they sell the brake lube stuff in very small quantities due to its rather limited use. Not that the speedo cable will need a ton, but you will likely use double what you'd think by the time you're done.

super lube
Super Lube is a great product for lots of uses. It is the exact same as "dielectric grease", "O-ring and seal lube", and many other 'specialized' lubes that are typically sold in very small quantities at very high prices. Being synthetic it does not react like some standard lubes do (e.g. with water). However it is a rather light viscosity and may tend to run out a bit over time? Not sure. But I love it for lots of other things. Whatever you do, do not use a spray lube of any type - they are way too light and won't offer any real protection after a few days. A graphite based product like TriLube might work, but again it is very light viscosity and I'd prefer something heavier that will remain in place longer. I've used graphite mix products in locks and found they need a reapplication after a couple months.

I used High temp Roal Purple bearing grease very light coat wore rubber gloves and rolled the grease with my index and thumb and put it into the sleeve. Been about 2 years works like champ.

Brian

I always add dry graphite to cables. I'll shoot it down the tube then grease the cable and insert it. If you can't remove the cable from the housing you can poke an end through a plastic bag and secure it with an elastic band, fill the bag with 10w30 or whatever and hang it up over night.

Back