Speedometer cable lubricant : what to use and how much?

Fred Cantin

Daily Driver
Hi all,

I just got a new speedo cable; there's a note on the package indicating that I should lubricate it before installing it. What lubricant should I use ? .. and how much ? :)

Thanks.

Use white Lithium grease on the flexible cable. Easiest is to extract the cable, put a liberal coat of grease over it and re-insert.
The cable sheath itself sort of limits what you can apply.

Like Bob, I've always used white lithium for this. Both ends of the speedo cable are sealed, so collecting dirt and hardening doesn't seem to be a problem.

They actually make a special lube for speedo cables. But it looks just like lithium grease. Go figure. The neat thing about it is the tube it comes in has a nozzle that fits into one end of the cable sheath. So you can "inject" the lube directly into it without the mess of trying to coat the inner cable.

By the way Fred, good to see you here again. Seems like it's been a long time. Hope all has been well with you.

I've used a graphite based tube of speedo lub that I bought in Oregon around 1980 while on vacation when the cable started to get noisey and drive us crazy. I pulled the instrument panel and loaded up the cable. No more noise after that. After reinstalling the engine/trans a few months ago, I decided to lube the trans end of the cable with the same tube of speedo lube.

Back