Spider heater core... just as much fun as an X heater core.

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
I have a buddy who's Spider has a leaking heater core and he doesn't have the physical ability to work on the car anymore. Is this a huge project somewhat like getting the X heater box apart? Or is there more room to work? Thanks

850?

Sliding wedges under a cardboard box.

Cardboard box just large enough to fit the heater box bottom. About 6 inches tall.

Wedges fabbed from 2 by 6's. About 12 inches in length. Taper continuous length. i.e. Base at the 1.5 and taper to nothing.

Wedges placed on tunnel top. Cardboard box on top of them. Slide wedges, effectively raising and lowering the heater box.

Had the heater box in and out a dozen times to retrofit the 124 core.

The described arrangement above made raising and lowering the box onto its four mounting studs.........much easier.

Last edited:
Hi lez,

This is a 124 Spider. Your ideas would probably be helpful regardless of the model of Fiat. I haven't committed to help yet, I have a local X1/9 buddy and I am tying to help get his car running currently. The Spider is currently for sale, so it may be gone before it gets repaired.

Was it Saturday Night Live then.....(oh) Never Mind (smile).

Best of luck on that assembly if undertaken. Stuffing the socket, and sticky on the topside of the flatwasher
are also some tricks to use in that area. Seats removed is almost a must.

Or, if time is running out. You can splice a u turn in the heater hoses where they are accessible in the engine compartment and run the car with no heat or defrost until you can fix it correctly.

Or, if time is running out. You can splice a u turn in the heater hoses where they are accessible in the engine compartment and run the car with no heat or defrost until you can fix it correctly.
Hi John,

The hose bypass temporary fix has been done already. With fall approaching and his health issues, I think he just decided to sell.

Back