Spray on chrome

Hey Peter... I know the plastic parts hadta be...

... a different "plastic chroming" process... not REAL chrome... but you are now saying ALL the parts are "chromed" with this process?

$400 actually sounds reasonable...

I'll wait for your response... I don' think this process is ready for the typical hobbyist yet though...

My parts were all Chromed plastic and metal alike by a three step spray on process that at least appears from watching the Jay Leno video to be the same type of process. Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch them do my parts but at "ChromeCraft" the gentleman did mention that the process was water based as is the same in the video. I didn't think $400 was unreasonable but if you can buy the product and do it yourself having nothing more then an air compressor then their is probably a significant savings.

'PeteX1/9

Parts count

There seem to be some 20 chromed parts on the table. I know I am mixing apples and oranges but on the average $400/20=$20 a piece. Considering the handling of each part, individually, the price seems right IMO.
I think that is a $2000 worth of bling for $400, not a bad deal... :brow:

Sure looks like MAGIC, don't it?

What I don't get is all the run-off and if it can be reused or ???

And apparently it isn't harmfull to the skin either... WEIRD!

Re Jay Leno garage

Need some help:
I am interested in that chrome plating Jay was showing on the net' yet I can't get anywhere.
I was trying to ask Jay about it, detail and sources, but couldn't log into his site. I don't use facebook and subscribing to nbcnet didn't seem to get me anywhere.
Any ideas ????

Hey all, I thought I would shed some light on the topic as someone who sprays professionally. The "spray on chrome" process is identical to high level, high production mirror silvering. The part must be base coated then wet sanded to a 3000 grit finish, then an acrylic resin is applied over the surface to make it smooth as glass. Once the resin has cured a mixture of several solutions are applied to the surface, Silver Nitrate being the main component. The silver that is deposited forms a super thin layer of real silver metal, not paint. Once "chromed" the part is then topcoated with 2k automotive clear. I personally use HOK clears and tints to provide the best results. The trick to making the silver actually look like chrome is tinting the clear with violet candy. The demand on Air/Chemical/Enviromental cleanliness is critical. I spent more on filtration systems and dryers then I did on spray equipment. This is a very unique process of chemical reaction. While it looks easy on video for a pro it takes several months and lots of frustration to master and provide a REAL mirror finish. Also P.P.E. is important! The silver solution can permenatly stain your skin a terrible brown/blue color which is very embarasing and has to be sanded off your skin..lol..<took 2 weeks>

Also if interested, I can "chrome" it if u can ship it...

I've seen this demonstrated at SEMA for the past two years. Several companies are selling the equipment and material. It's about $20,000 to get started and you really need a spray booth as it takes awhile to dry. It looks amazing in person and it would be great for restoring trim pieces. As with anything though, the prep work is critical. If you were spraying light housings, you'd have to remove the old plating first

Back