Spring Strut question

CnC79X19

True Classic
scenario: stock 79 X19 spring and struts. We have new struts. We also have a 74 X with springs that make it sit much lower. My son likes the appearance of it and wants to transfer the look to his 79. Could it be as simple as just transferring the 74 springs to the new struts? All the stiffer suspension stuff aside (which he says doesn’t matter to him if he can have the look) can it be done without modifying the new strut shafts etc? Read several posts already and still not finding an exact answer?

Last edited:
scenario: stock 79 X19 spring and struts. We have new struts. We also have a 74 X with springs that make it sit much lower. My son likes the appearance of it and wants to transfer the look to his 79. Could it be as simple as just transferring the 74 springs to the new struts? All the stiffer suspension stuff aside (which he says doesn’t matter to him if he can have the look) can it be done without modifying the new strut shafts etc? Read several posts already and still not finding an exact answer?
The springs are the same for all years, so yes, you can swap them over. No need to modify the strut.

The springs are the same for all years, so yes, you can swap them over. No need to modify the strut.

I would add that stock springs are held under pressure when installed on the strut. If the 74's springs have been significantly shortened, it would be a good idea to use safety wire or sturdy zip ties to attach the springs to the perches. There have been a few incidents where the shortened spring has come out of the perch when completely unloaded, like when hitting a big bump or even when jacking. I think there were at least two cases of spring leaving the perch and puncturing a tire.

Tony Natoli has an entry in "Best of X WIKI" under suspension about cutting springs and shortening the front struts to lower the stance. I have not attempted this mod. It might be best to ask other members about skill level needed to do this mod or an estimate of cost to have it done by a shop, (or even if a shop would take on this type of change).

DaveR

If you shorten the springs then I recommend modifying the struts.
With the shorter springs you are losing the stock tension on the springs allowing the springs to move laterally.
This lateral movement may not be a problem if you just cruse the mall but poor road conditions encountered getting to the mall could be a problem.
We are talking about X1/9's here so it is hard to believe you will not lay that little baby into the curves every once in a while.
You will want those springs to stay in place during those moments of driving abandon.
I don't think wire or zip ties are the answer. The modification of the strut is not that hard but if you do not have the skill or tools to do it then pay to have it done.
There is a saying, "If it is worth doing, then it is worth doing right."

This brings up a question. Factory springs are developed to a length/size to match the design of the strut (as others have said above). So when the X1/9 was changed to meet US regulations, raising the nose to lift the bumper height, did the struts become longer/taller? I don't mean did the springs become longer, but the actual strut assembly; either the rod/travel increased or the strut body/mount extended to lift it? If so, that would indicate there are "short" and "long" struts for the X (Euro and US spec's respectively)...and I don't believe there are(?). If the strut was NOT lengthened, and only a taller spring installed, that would mean the US spec has a stiffer front suspension (to overcome the vehicle's weight more, raising the nose)....which I also don't believe it is. I guess the US springs could be longer but not firmer, but then they would bind on compression. So how did Fiat lift the US spec front ends?

Last edited:
They didn’t, they lowered the rear end by 3cm compared to the EU X’s. All front struts are the same height both here and there. I think the belief that they changed the relationship of the front to the rear is a myth.
Interesting about the rears. The description for the shorter (US version) rear says that on Euro spec cars it will make the 1500 the same rear height as the 1300. That implies that when the 1500/5-speed came out (with more rear weight) they raised the Euro spec, likely to compensate for the added weight.

However I'm not convinced this precludes the front from having been raised on US spec cars. It could be myth, but there are many reports that say the US spec needed to raise the front to comply with bumper and/or headlight height regulations. They certainly look like they sit higher in the front, but that is subjective. To your point, that's why I asked the question, I haven't noticed any different listings for US spec front springs or struts (but then again, there are a LOT of things I don't notice).

Well, decided against the spring switch after jacking the car up and the springs moving in the saddles. When I compared it to the stock length it appeared that whoever did it cut off at least 2 spring revolutions? Much shorter. One question I do have is do the cuts have to be in the exact position of the original stock spring position?

No the perches rotate so that you do not have to cut each spring the same, or 1 or two coils, but need to bed them in their respective perches.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back