Stamped aluminium wheels

Janis

True Classic
Wheels I have at the moment are 15x7 et13 8,52kg (weight without tire) MiM 1900 model
DD11EB72-57EE-44E5-A2F6-83D5A443FAF3.jpeg

I’m looking for other lighter options for 15” wheels.

The lightest 15” I know (can’t find exact weight or someone to weigh them up yet) for my memory max 4kg are aluminium stamped wheels.
I know that BMW produced them: for e38 15x7 et18 ; for e39 15x6,5 et20 ;for e46 15x6,5 with et42.
FBC01F16-3D2D-47AE-B76E-BBD329F0E7B1.png

To fit them I should need an adapter, so far haven’t seen weight of any yet, I guess max1.5kg. Together with wheel it would be 5,5kg.
90D07C03-9DD7-47AB-AC86-34D678BB37E6.png

Do You know any manufacturer that made stamped wheel from factory with 4 bolt pattern? In that case I wouldn’t need adapter with that bolt to bolt adapter which is untightened a bit.
*I like the look of simple stamped wheels, just basic.

BMW wheels could have great offset with adapters
front 15x6.5 et20 + adapter 20mm = et0
-3mm original spacer it would be et3

4 adapters to fit BMW wheels 200€

4 BMW wheels max 80€

MiMs are worth ~120€ ( they also need to be repainted, that is another 120€)

(120+120)-200-80=-40 so to get ~3kg lighter wheel would cost me ~40€.

Feel free to add any thoughts about this.

Off hand I don't know of any stamped factory wheels in aluminum. Maybe older Porsche? There are aftermarket racing ones; some are spun, others forged or stamped:
download.jpg

Extremely light weight, but they can be rather expensive and they may not be certified for street use (not sure).

I have some spacer-adaptors I can weigh for you if that helps. I'll have to look up the dimensions again, but they are the type with a second set of lugs to change the bolt pattern. Rears are much thicker than fronts.

Janis, here are the adapters I have. They use a stud into the car's hub and lug nuts to mount the adapter. Then a second set of lug nuts mount the wheel to the adapter. The weights given below are with 4 studs and nuts, but not the second set of lug nuts - that would be the same for any wheel attachment.
Rears = 40mm thick, and 1.68 kg each.
Fronts = 20mm thick, and 1.04 kg each.

Here are some pics:
Studs and nuts to mount them to the car (sorry its blurry)...
018.JPG

Rear...
016.JPG

Front...
017.JPG

Despite being aluminum they are kind of heavy. And adapters for a five lug wheel would be a little heavier.

I have bought 15" 4x100 ET38 Enkei RPF1 wheels from Tegiwa import (only business in the EU that carried them at the time).
enkei-rpf1-alloy-wheel-f1silver.jpg

They weigh 4,4 kgs and are casted and then spun to add strength and optimise weight.
I saved 4,1 kg per wheel compared to my old 15" wheels (those in the avatar)

Any reason you are looking for stamped as opposed to forged, and aluminum instead of magnesium? Are you wanting to stay in a 15 or go back to a 13?

My thought: I have a set of old Campagnolos that I believe are actually magnesium. I haven't put one on a scale, but I'd bet it weighs no more than 8kgs WITH the tire. They are a bit pricey to acquire, but sure are nice looking. They certainly feel about 1/2 the weight of the "Phone Dial" Cromadoras that I know are aluminum.

FWIW.

Last edited:
Back