Stand back, take a seat, another Federal SS thread............

carl

True Classic
The tires on the 77X look brand new, like they had just been installed, which they had been, about 12 years ago. I got a set of Federal SS tires, right out of the oven with a 2018 date code from an excellent friend of mine who decided not to use them after just buying them.

Loaded up the GTI with the four tires and the four iron crosses with old tires and hauled them off to my favorite Mr. Tire. Picked them up later in the day and as we were loading them back into the GTI the "kid" who really is the smart guy in the tire changing part of the store noticed I had three passenger side and one driver side (the tires are directional) and took a quick minute to reverse it, since the underling who mounted the tires apparently has to learn about directional tires. Hey I was happy the kid caught it (when you are 70, everyone below 50 is a kid.

Installed them this morning and found the stick on weights on two wheels were hitting the caliper so I had to grind them down a tad...putting wheels on with wheel bolts is a pain, I always use two long studs to help my put the wheel on then remove them. All set to go see how round the are but it's supposed to rain for the next three days and I have a toe injury making life very painful at the moment so we all have to wait till next week to see what gives....and yes my back up plan is shaving the tires if they are not round. I have shaved Federals on the rat X and couldn't be happier with them.

So carl... I guess this thread wont really get interesting till you get your toe fixed. Maybe I will hop over to the WF and post a thread on how 10w-30 is the only grade of motor oil appropriate for an X. That will kill a few days while we wait for your report.:cool:

The tires on the 77X look brand new, like they had just been installed, which they had been, about 12 years ago. I got a set of Federal SS tires, right out of the oven with a 2018 date code from an excellent friend of mine who decided not to use them after just buying them.

Loaded up the GTI with the four tires and the four iron crosses with old tires and hauled them off to my favorite Mr. Tire. Picked them up later in the day and as we were loading them back into the GTI the "kid" who really is the smart guy in the tire changing part of the store noticed I had three passenger side and one driver side (the tires are directional) and took a quick minute to reverse it, since the underling who mounted the tires apparently has to learn about directional tires. Hey I was happy the kid caught it (when you are 70, everyone below 50 is a kid.

Installed them this morning and found the stick on weights on two wheels were hitting the caliper so I had to grind them down a tad...putting wheels on with wheel bolts is a pain, I always use two long studs to help my put the wheel on then remove them. All set to go see how round the are but it's supposed to rain for the next three days and I have a toe injury making life very painful at the moment so we all have to wait till next week to see what gives....and yes my back up plan is shaving the tires if they are not round. I have shaved Federals on the rat X and couldn't be happier with them.

Hi Carl, may i ask who shaved the tires?....same shop?....i know race shops do that but never thought a regular tire shop may have the equipment to do it. Hmmmm...time to start asking around!!

The wheels/tires on the rat X (Federals on iron cross) are on loan from a friend who had all this in storage. He had tire roundness issues and had them shaved by Radial Tire which may be a local shop?

I have not looked into where I'll go until I determine the work is needed.

The wheels/tires on the rat X (Federals on iron cross) are on loan from a friend who had all this in storage. He had tire roundness issues and had them shaved by Radial Tire which may be a local shop?

I have not looked into where I'll go until I determine the work is needed.
Radial Tire is 2 blocks from my house. They are a small but busy shop that specializes in race/track tires.

The last time I had out of round tires I just put them on the back of my RWD Volvo w/a powertrax posi & did a burn-out until they stopped hopping. Worked for me :D

So carl... I guess this thread wont really get interesting till you get your toe fixed. Maybe I will hop over to the WF and post a thread on how 10w-30 is the only grade of motor oil appropriate for an X. That will kill a few days while we wait for your report.:cool:

add Bosch WR7DC plugs to the topic & we are good to go

Thanks, Erwin, if you see my four wheels/tires stacked in front of your house you will know what to do with them.
The thought of trying to get enough torque out of an X to do burnouts...I mean tire "shaving" is ludicrous but I could maybe use a 500Abarth, I have a few friends with those.

How is your toe feeling Carl? Foot injuries are hard to heal. I somehow injured the outside edge of my right foot and literally had to limp around for 5 months as it ever so slowly healed.

Gout type thing, not an injury per se. Better today, was able to hobble in the garage in slipper sox and final the friend's 124 motor rebuild and put my X up on dolleys. Hope to pull the steering rack tomorrow, at least I lay on my back to do that job...then I'm going to mail it to Bernice to get the new bushing installed!

Carl, Allopurinol works wonders for gout like toe pain. Talk to a doctor. It works for me. Oh, and I LOVE my Federal tires!

Went to the foot doctor yesterday and got steroids. Today I'll attempt steering rack removal, with my luck the car will fall off the jackstands and fall on my toe.

Yes but then it can be removed and there fore no more problem.

Don’t you wish you could just remove body parts and replace them like you can with a car?

Yes, first thing I would do is order a totally new digestive system from Auto Ricambi.

Eric, I'm getting a lot of folks saying the same thing, I'll be checking with my doctor...now if I could just get my shoe back on.....

All the best wishes for recovery on the foot issue!

Have you driven the X with the Federals yet to see if they are round?

Thank you sir. The problem with having two Xs is that as you are out in one you might think "gosh I need to drive the other on to see if the tires are round" and when you get home you realize the car you were driving was the one with the unknown tires! It was only a neighborhood drive to see if the clutch slave was fully bled, it apparently is. Today is supposed to be pleasant and I was able to drive the X with my temp funny shoe (right foot) so I do plan on getting out on the local parkway to get the 77 up to 70 or more and make this long awaited tire test.

Sorry for keeping you all so on the edge of your seats on this, as has been said here many times, sometimes life gets in the way.

More exciting news is that we got project 75 spider in the garage yesterday and I can start on the restoration of that turkey.

IMG_0633[2].JPG

and another +1 for Allopurinol. Keeps mine at bay as well.
Yes, allopurinol is an inhibitor of Hypoxanthine-guanine phosporybosyltransferase and blocks the production of Uric acid (ultimately). Uric acid, which is a breakdown product of purine nucleotides (that makes up DNA, with pyrimidine nucleotides), is very poorly soluble in water, and tends to deposit in tissues (to cause gout) or in the kidneys (to create kidney stones). By preventing urate formation, Allopurinol helps mitigate and prevent these problems. Frankly, it’s better at prevention, along with hydration, but has a role with existing exacerbations as well. If you want a visual for the insolubility of uric acid, think bird poop. Birds obviously can’t fly loaded down with too much water, so they eliminate nitrogenous waste by synthesizing uric acid and pooping it out. In the cancer world we use Allopurinol to minimize risks of urate nephropathy from chemotherapy-driven tumor lysis. Bet we’ve never talked about bird poop when discussing Federal tires before. Cheers everyone.

Back