Starter problem

fiatboy

True Classic
Just install new batterie the old one was short i think
i heard the clic from selenoid but starter do not engage 12.8v at gauge
yesterday with old batterie i try to start many time and starter crank fine but wont start(winter storage)
what to check first

Ok just try another time
i hit the starter with a hammer the stater spin but it's like spinning free or with just a little mouvement of the engine i'm alone so i cnat see if the timming belt spin
it's seem like the not enough voltage ?but yesterday it was ok with the old battery so my ground strap suppuse to be ok
is it possible to have starter motor problem and drive gear (Bendix) problem at the same time

Last edited:
Double check all of the connections; the battery terminals, ground straps, starter posts, etc. Make sure they are freshly cleaned and tight. Also test the charge level of tour new battery. Often they are left to sit on the shelf for very long periods and not kept charged, so they loose a lot by the time you get it. Also test the voltage at the starter (compared to at the battery) to be sure the cables are good. However it does sound like you have a starter solenoid/bendix issue, but it might be the connection; there is a wire that connects to the "bendix portion" from the "starter motor portion", a poor connection prevents the drive from engaging when the motor spins. The location of the starter allows lots of oil, grease, road grime, water to foul the connections.

Thanks Dr Jeff
I remove the starter and bench test it
solenoid ok
bendix work test solenoid only
motor spin but very slowly test motor only
forget to test solenoid and motor together
from what i can see motor spin to slow to crank the engine

Sounds logical, as the motor's windings / armature age and increase in resistance, the motor will spin slower. Typically the motor and solenoid and Bendix all come together as a unit, so best to replace everything while you have done the removal/installation work. Good time to scrub all connections prior to re-connecting everything.

Back