Agree. Remove it and take it to an old school shop that rebuilds alternators and starters. Has to be one in the LA area. Or do it yourself or with help from another forum member.

Agree. Remove it and take it to an old school shop that rebuilds alternators and starters. Has to be one in the LA area. Or do it yourself or with help from another forum member.
Currently resting peacefully at an old-school, old FIAT shop 😬 The first service or two I’ll seek professional help as I learn. But pretty soon after that, unless it’s an engine rebuild, I’ll have to start learning more...

Okay folks - the starter imploded so badly, Mr. Old Fiat Guy says there’s nothing useful left of that can be used, rebuilt etc. Yeah! The engine/alternator are good.
Whew....

These oem Marelli starters are very rebuildable and of high quality.

What can go wrong with them, the high current contacts inside the solenoid can get worn from decades of switching high current. If the solenoid is taken apart (the three six M5 nuts on long screws) M8 copper stud contacts flipped around, then cleaned. It would likely make this starter go again. The brushes can be replaced by removing what appears to be a metal band clamp held together with a M4 screw and square nut. Starter drive replacement requires separating the front housing from the motor.

The other failure mode of these starters, the nuts-screws that hold the solenoid together vibrate loose allowing dirt and oil to get inside. The dirt and oil bake into clay causing all sorts of problems. Cleaning out this Goooo makes all the difference.

Just did this to the Marelli starter in the Lancia, First time this Lancia Scorpiacarlo's electrical system was powered up in decades. Starter did not want to engage or run fast enough. Removed the starter and figure out the problem were very minor and how well made these Marelli starters are.

BTW, Bosch starters from this same era are well known for lack of gear engagement and motor run.. when the starter solenoid is engaged.

If the choice is to replace this starter, replace it with a modern gear reduction unit like a Denso (Japan), these work GOOD and modern reliable.

Bernice

Okay folks - the starter imploded so badly, Mr. Old Fiat Guy says there’s nothing useful left of that can be used, rebuilt etc. Yeah! The engine/alternator are good.
Whew....
If you need a rebuildable Marelli 1300 core ping me. Agree with Bernice, they are high quality. Both my X and 128 have them. Free for the price of shipping.

If you need a rebuildable Marelli 1300 core ping me. Agree with Bernice, they are high quality. Both my X and 128 have them. Free for the price of shipping.
Okay thanks. When you say ‘rebuildable’, how rebuildable? My old FIAT guy said the only think that MAY be salvageable from mine was the solenoid?

Good that your solenoid May contribute.

I will look at what I have (more than one) and report back.

Affirming yours is a 1300, correct?

Good that your solenoid May contribute.

I will look at what I have (more than one) and report back.

Affirming yours is a 1300, correct?
yes, 1300. 1974. I’m assuming Mr. Old Fiat is putting in one of his rebuilds, and likely not returning my solenoid. He’s a rather angry, know-it-all kind of mechanic, but in these parts, he’s the only one who knows anything about these cars from the phone calls I’ve made. I’ll ask about my solenoid tomorrow.

Back