Starting Issues - No Crank

maz124s

True Classic
Hi All

Have have a higly annoying issue

While starting the long process of reassembling after a respray the X will no longer start

The car had sat for a few weeks before that but had started pretty much first shot before that , on the first start i noticed about half a crank then nothing, i get a click when turning key but no crank whatsoever, i have an electric fuel pump that seems to be working normally

So after recharge of battery, still same issue of no crank just click when turning ignition switch

I bought a new battery and again same issue, i have had the multi meter on and can see power being supplied to starter motor and voltage looks ok even duting crack

Also I did have to remove the distributor previously to do some wiring but i have set this back up and aligned to TDC again with rotor at cylinder 4, but i wouldnt think this would have contributed to crank

Does anybody have any ideas what else i can check next, i did have the starter motor refurbished about 2 years ago so im hoping that is not the issue as the car has done very little mileage since then

Thanks in advance

Anthony

My first guess would be a bumping of the start wire to the starter (it's just a spade terminal and can easily slip off) (you saying you were touching the distributor back's up my thought as there is only what 4-6 inches between them (if that much).

2nd thought would be a bad starter (lightly tap) (I do mean light don't go whaling on it with a sludge hammer) but a light tap on the solenoid some times will free them up (best way to top on the X1/9 starter is from the top with a 2-4 foot pipe. (again lightly) anything long enough to get down there will have some mass to it.

My bet would be a bumping of the wire off the solenoid.

Check the connections at battery terminals and connection at starter. Look for corrosion and broken cables. It is more than likely the starter solenoid. Gonna have to pull the starter for that.

yes im suspecting solenoid as well have rechecked that spade terminal to starter motor and it definitely was tightly connected and just for my sanity hooked up volt meter while cracking and definitely full voltage at the wire

Well with that. (and you have battery voltage at the large terminal) (and ground on the motor) then it HAS to be the starter

When you did the respray did that include the engine compartment? If so, perhaps the ground strap between the engine and chassis is missing. Without it, fuel pump will work but the starter has trouble.

I had this issue too. I removed the ground strap between the transaxle and the body, the one right in front of you when you look through the rear right side wheel well. I scraped every bit of exposed metal with sandpaper and a steel brush, and when I reinstalled it my car would start again.

jump the hot battery connection at the starter to the starter solenoid post. if it turns over then go after ignition switch

thanks everyone, have removed and cleaned up earth strap its not in best condition (have ordered a new one), still same issue so have removed starter and have taken to be looked at, so well find out if thats the culprit if not definitely next stage is ignition switch

?? did I not see a posting above that said you were getting signal power when you turned the key ?? (if so you just tested the ignition switch)...?? or am I confused. (could be was out in the sun working on two x1/9's the last to day's.. enjoying the AC today.

Back