Starting issues

Mr Patty

Low Mileage
Hey guys I'm new to the forum. Just bought me an 84 x1/9 that's been sitting for two years with non engine related issues. At least that's what I was told. Never know! Anyways I drained the old gas out of it and put fresh in. I also changed the spark plugs and wires on it. So I through a battery in it and it turns over but won't fire. Looks like it's still not getting spark but does appear to be getting fuel. Checked a spark plug while turning over and got nothing. Also I cleaned the the distributor cap. So I was maybe thinking the coil was bad. Not sure! Just wondering if you guys had any ideas on how to test the coil to see if it's any good. Also any other thoughts on what I should check would be appreciated. Thanks!

The later models (79 ->) use a coil with an external ballast resistor so it would be a good idea to test it - should be .85 - .95 ohms per manual). The coil primary resistance is specified at 1.1 to 1.7 ohms, the secondary 6,000 to 10,000 ohms. If the resistance measurements are good, you can test the coil by by applying 12V across the primary in series with the ballast, and check for a spark when you remove the 12V. Don't leave the current flowing in the primary more than a few seconds so it doesn't overheat the coil.

If the coil works, the next step would be to check the inductive pickup in the distributor and/or the ignition control box.

I recommend downloading the manual from the Wiki page on this site. It has a fair amount of information on the ignition.

Edit: Check that the distributor cap has not lost it's carbon contact button in the center that is supposed to contact the rotor. I've seen that thing go missing more than once.

You might also look to be sure the timing belt is not stripped.

Because I am an idiot, I didn’t change my timing belt which had been on there since the car was built. This is a non interference engine from the factory so it didn’t hurt anything, despite my idiocy.

Have someone turn the engine over using the starter and verify the distributor rotor is actually rotating with the cap off and by looking into the oil fill opening to see the cam shaft actually turning.

I actually thought my ignition system was at fault. Again don’t be like me...

Welcome to Xweb Mr Patty. I live just west of STL, so not too far away in the greater scheme of things. I once changed the spark plugs and wires in an 86X and the car would crank forever without catching. I played with it for an hour and decided to put the old plugs and wires back on just to see. Still no fire, but it cranked beautifully. After staring at it for another hour or so, I noticed a disconnected piggy back connector in the middle of a wire hanging down near the distributor.
86_coil_wire.JPG

Then I noticed an empty male spade connector on the coil.
86_coil.JPG

Put the piggy back on the spade and it fires right up. DOH! :D
86_coil_wire_on.JPG

It may not be your problem, but this wire is pretty easy to dislodge when working in the area. I took an 85X to an oil change place a couple years ago and the young tech knocked the wire off. I let him sweat for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what he broke. He called two guys over and I let the fun continue for another few minutes. I guess I am easily entertained. :cool:

That wire came off on my X when I was rebuilding the clutch slave cylinder in a hotel parking lot. Got done with the job and go to start the car and it just cranked. I was in the midst of driving the collection from Los Angeles to Vermont with three of my sisters and near St Louis as it happens.

I looked all over that thing and eventually hit on that wire and the empty post on the coil.

Started right up. My sisters were impressed.

The later models (79 ->) use a coil with an external ballast resistor so it would be a good idea to test it - should be .85 - .95 ohms per manual). The coil primary resistance is specified at 1.1 to 1.7 ohms, the secondary 6,000 to 10,000 ohms. If the resistance measurements are good, you can test the coil by by applying 12V across the primary in series with the ballast, and check for a spark when you remove the 12V. Don't leave the current flowing in the primary more than a few seconds so it doesn't overheat the coil.

If the coil works, the next step would be to check the inductive pickup in the distributor and/or the ignition control box.

I recommend downloading the manual from the Wiki page on this site. It has a fair amount of information on the ignition.

Edit: Check that the distributor cap has not lost it's carbon contact button in the center that is supposed to contact the rotor. I've seen that thing go missing more than once.
Hey thanks for the reply I checked the coil and it's good also cleaned all the connections on it. Is that carbon contact supposed to be pointed or not? It's appears to be a little worn but I'm not sure what it supposed to look like when new. Thanks

You might also look to be sure the timing belt is not stripped.

Because I am an idiot, I didn’t change my timing belt which had been on there since the car was built. This is a non interference engine from the factory so it didn’t hurt anything, despite my idiocy.

Have someone turn the engine over using the starter and verify the distributor rotor is actually rotating with the cap off and by looking into the oil fill opening to see the cam shaft actually turning.

I actually thought my ignition system was at fault. Again don’t be like me...
I will definitely check on the that The next time I look at it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Welcome to Xweb Mr Patty. I live just west of STL, so not too far away in the greater scheme of things. I once changed the spark plugs and wires in an 86X and the car would crank forever without catching. I played with it for an hour and decided to put the old plugs and wires back on just to see. Still no fire, but it cranked beautifully. After staring at it for another hour or so, I noticed a disconnected piggy back connector in the middle of a wire hanging down near the distributor.
View attachment 20639
Then I noticed an empty male spade connector on the coil.
View attachment 20641
Put the piggy back on the spade and it fires right up. DOH! :D
View attachment 20640

It may not be your problem, but this wire is pretty easy to dislodge when working in the area. I took an 85X to an oil change place a couple years ago and the young tech knocked the wire off. I let him sweat for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what he broke. He called two guys over and I let the fun continue for another few minutes. I guess I am easily entertained. :cool:
Lol!! That's funny but yes the piggy back wires were connected and I cleaned the connectors too. Thanks

Was it a little crowded in there, Karl?

Hah! I was driving a Penske speed limited cube truck which had my 850 Sport Coupe in tow, my three sisters were trading off on the 124 Sport Coupe, the X1/9 and the VW Golf. It was five days of fun and frolic as we drove across the US as a Fiat Convoy...

Back