Steering rack question - vagueness & slop

Testing the rack should be simple...

How can I tell if the rack had been compromised because of contamination due to the torn boots? Where would I see/test for a problem in the rack?

Just lock the pinion in place in the center of the rack travel (where the rack spends most of its time and thus where the wear is likely to be the greatest), and try to wiggle the rack in and out. Conversely you could lock the rack and try to spin the pinion back and forth. There should not be a lot of play at all. Any play there is, is going to show up in the steering wheel as a "dead" spot, where you turn the wheel and nothing happens. Remember, the size of the wheel vs the size of the pinion shaft, will have a magnification effect on any play.

If there is some play but you find it to be an acceptable amount, then the rack is ok to use. Unless there are broken teeth on the pinion or rack, there is really not a lot to go wrong with them.

On the plastic bushing, if you intend to replace it with another plastic one, then yes, you might as well leave the existing one in there and put the spare on the shelf. If you did not already have a replacement, then I would say, go for the metal one and never have to deal with it again. The plastic in there will wear out/break down at some point, but if it's currently functional then no reason not to run it.

Pete

Thanks for all the help, Pete! I plan on starting it this weekend.

I'll let you know of my progress or any other questions.

Thanks!

Sharing the pain

Been planning steering rack work for many months. Today I pulled the rack, with all the parts at hand. The inner rods were slack, the right side had about 3 mm (1/8 inch) of in-out movement. The bushing was fully functional, yet its days were numbered.

With all the great information here, I began to think of a bronze bushing. Decided not as the old one lasted thirty-five years. It is likely that the standard replacement bushing will outlast me. So, no bronze bushings for me. However, if I have to pull this rack again, I might reconsider.

Been planning steering rack work for many months. Today I pulled the rack, with all the parts at hand. The inner rods were slack, the right side had about 3 mm (1/8 inch) of in-out movement. The bushing was fully functional, yet its days were numbered.

With all the great information here, I began to think of a bronze bushing. Decided not as the old one lasted thirty-five years. It is likely that the standard replacement bushing will outlast me. So, no bronze bushings for me. However, if I have to pull this rack again, I might reconsider.

I agree with you. I replaced it with a new OEM bushing I had (eventhough the one there was fine) and am now waiting for my new inner and outer tie rods to come in.

Back