Steering wheel pulses

dburdick

doug b
My steering wheel has developed a bad pulse above 60mph. Its fine for about a second,then shakes,then steady, anybody seen this?

Mine was doing that intermitantly and i suspect it's a sticking caliper, hoping to get it sorted soon.

Out of balance tires can act like that.

It seems like they should shake the steering wheel all the time, but I've had it where sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't. I wondered if it was due to both front tires out of balance, but sometimes they were rolling "in phase" and sometimes "out of phase".

In any event, getting your front tires balanced is cheap and eliminates the biggest probably cause.

Pete

Yeah pete,did that,and indended up chAnging the front tires because of "chopping" of the tires. The guy at the tire store said the chopping might be from toe in. I'm trying to find an alignment shop that will work on my car.

really?

Cause I do feel just the slightest play in the front bearings when I jack the car up and pull on the tire from top to bottom. How bad were your bearings?
mine did that and it was the front wheel bearings... converted it with a little help from my friend.

re bearings

mine were really bad... tightened it all the way and i tried to repack the bearings but it would just loosen after a few hundred miles... Eddie Tuason sourced me a set of spindles which take the more common tapered bearings which were a big improvement. The old bearings would move at least 1/8 of an inch if i jiggled the front tire top to bottom. hope this helps.

Back