Steering Wheel Removal

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
I went to pull the steering wheel off one of my X's but it will not budge. Typically a couple of good yanks will do it, not this time. It had been soaking in penetrating oil but that did not help. So I started looking through my fairly extensive stash of pullers to see what I could use to persuade it off. But nothing comes close to working. These wheels do not have much provision for attaching a puller. I'm guessing Fiat had a special tool for this? I don't want to mar the wheel by placing the puller legs over the outer portion of the wheel center (around the outside edge, beyond where the horn button is). Anyone have any tricks? This is a stock steering wheel on a '85, same as on my '79.
Thanks

Did you remove the nut first :rolleyes:
:D

If you have a small torch, you could try heating it up. I've run into some real tough steering wheels, while at junk yards. Usually a mix of PBlaster (not WD40), fire, hammer and wooden block/2x4 gets the job done.

Reactions: NEG
I could not get mine off so I removed the entire column which was not difficult. I was making room to work on the master cylinders. I suppose if you needed to remove stuff on the column behind the wheel it would not help you although getting it out on a bench might give you more options.

My attempt used a 3 leg puller but it quickly became clear that it was going to start damaging the wheel before the hub would budge.

Did you rock the steering wheel while trying to pull it off, that's usually what I have to do. And of course, leave the nut on so when the wheel does pop loose it doesn't recontour your face.

First I tried with it still on the car. Used PB Blaster for penetrant. Tried yanking, rocking, wacking the end of the shaft (with the nut on the end) to see if that would crack it free, wacking the back of the wheel (as much as I could on the car), several types of pullers, etc, with no luck. So took the whole column off with the wheel still in place. But I need to remove the wheel from the shaft in order to install a different aftermarket wheel. I have not tried heat yet. Heat seems to do a great job with frozen hardware, but I am a bit hesitant about it damaging the steering wheel's pads/cover/finish/wires/plastic parts/etc. This wheel is in very good condition so if it comes down to it I'd rather leave it on than damage it trying to remove it. I also don't want to break the stalks or other bits around it.

I’ve always zapped the column end with an air hammer while lightly tugging on the wheel and they pop right off.

I went to pull the steering wheel off one of my X's but it will not budge. Typically a couple of good yanks will do it, not this time. It had been soaking in penetrating oil but that did not help. So I started looking through my fairly extensive stash of pullers to see what I could use to persuade it off. But nothing comes close to working. These wheels do not have much provision for attaching a puller. I'm guessing Fiat had a special tool for this? I don't want to mar the wheel by placing the puller legs over the outer portion of the wheel center (around the outside edge, beyond where the horn button is). Anyone have any tricks? This is a stock steering wheel on a '85, same as on my '79.
Thanks

air hammer
Thanks Mark. Now that the whole column is off the car I should be able to try something like that. Funny, I've had a air hammer for decades but very rarely used it. No particular reason, it just does not come to mind in situations like this.

First I tried with it still on the car. Used PB Blaster for penetrant. Tried yanking, rocking, wacking the end of the shaft (with the nut on the end) to see if that would crack it free, wacking the back of the wheel (as much as I could on the car), several types of pullers, etc, with no luck. So took the whole column off with the wheel still in place. But I need to remove the wheel from the shaft in order to install a different aftermarket wheel. I have not tried heat yet. Heat seems to do a great job with frozen hardware, but I am a bit hesitant about it damaging the steering wheel's pads/cover/finish/wires/plastic parts/etc. This wheel is in very good condition so if it comes down to it I'd rather leave it on than damage it trying to remove it. I also don't want to break the stalks or other bits around it.
As an alternative to heating the wheel, you might try dry ice on the shaft. That way, the possibility of damage would be reduced.

I used a traditional 3 legged puller with just 2 of the legs in contact with the back of the wheel. I had to pull down toward the center of the wheel to keep the hooks from slipping off, but it worked. If you were so inclined, (and wouldn't mind modifying a puller to trim off all but a quarter inch or so of the hooks) I think you could get away with using the 3 slots that the center cap tabs fit into.
upload_2019-6-24_18-45-19.png

Ya, all of my pullers are too big to fit those holes in the wheel. I think rather than modify the puller legs, in might try using a puller that I can thread 3 long bolts through and into those holes in the wheel.

Back